PDA

View Full Version : Cooler repair -- Need help on materials?

wotan2525
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
A couple of years ago I copied someone in this forum (apologies on not remembering) who turned their ski locker into a cooler. I took the carpet out of mine, went to town with a die-grinder, drilled a couple of holes for drain fittings, bondo'd the low areas and then used 2-part garage floor epoxy to give it a rugged grey coating. This first time I ended up laying it up WAAAY too thick (made the mistake of using all the garage epoxy in 1 setting) and it ended up cracking super bad.

I gave it a few weeks to cure, then filled the cracks with bondo, resanded and then re-epoxied in about 6 layers of the same material.

This winter it cracked again. Portions of the epoxy are starting to flake off and the whole surface is pretty unsmooth. I probably need to start grinding again and put another layer over the top.

My question is about material -- does anyone know of a finish that will stay flexible enough to take a case of beer being dumped into it without cracking but still stay watertight? I also need it to look nice and be durable (the garage epoxy was attractive because it was colored.)

Thoughts?

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/20120514_223414.jpg
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/20120514_223422.jpg

Salty87
05-19-2012, 10:02 AM
i'm thinking you got that idea from Jet?

i've never used garage epoxy but what about good 'ole epoxy and fiberglass? nice fat woven roven might leave a nice look....carbon fiber?

pap
05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Rhinolining (the stuff they use in pickup beds) is pretty much indestructible. No experience with this idea, but I'd check into that, shouldn't cost much if you can take it to someone who sprays the stuff.

lively
05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Rhinolining (the stuff they use in pickup beds) is pretty much indestructible. No experience with this idea, but I'd check into that, shouldn't cost much if you can take it to someone who sprays the stuff.and it is flexible !! great solution !

haugy
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Rhinolining (the stuff they use in pickup beds) is pretty much indestructible. No experience with this idea, but I'd check into that, shouldn't cost much if you can take it to someone who sprays the stuff.

This was going to be my suggestion. Plus, you can get Rhinolining in varying colors, not just black. Do not get Line-X, it's firm and hard.

Rhinolining would be a pretty good choice.

sybrmike
05-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Agreed, Rhino or a good quality epoxy might work. That plastic liner is too flexible to use a hard/stiff coating that'll crack when things move.

haugy
05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
How's it hold the weight of beer and ice? Mine is flimsy as hell.

And how does it do keeping the beer cold? Or in? I would bet sloshing around in it might cause some to pop out of the hatch area.

wotan2525
05-21-2012, 11:48 AM
How's it hold the weight of beer and ice? Mine is flimsy as hell.

And how does it do keeping the beer cold? Or in? I would bet sloshing around in it might cause some to pop out of the hatch area.

Mine is actually solid enough that I think I could probably stand in it. And I'm not light. Probably because it was reinforced with foam and 3 layers of fiberglass before I epoxied it.

I insulated the entire thing with 1.5" inch insulating foam. Can keep ice in it all day even when it's 90+ degrees. Never had a problem with it leaking but my sun deck does fit very, very tight. Approximate capacity (with ice) is 6 cases. ;) Certain summer days call for even more capacity.

Sounds like rhino is the way to go.... I had bad luck with the dealer in my town but I'll check if there's another guy nearby that might be able to do things besides truck boxes.

wiatowski
05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Mine is actually solid enough that I think I could probably stand in it. And I'm not light. Probably because it was reinforced with foam and 3 layers of fiberglass before I epoxied it.

I insulated the entire thing with 1.5" inch insulating foam. Can keep ice in it all day even when it's 90+ degrees. Never had a problem with it leaking but my sun deck does fit very, very tight. Approximate capacity (with ice) is 6 cases. ;) Certain summer days call for even more capacity.

Sounds like rhino is the way to go.... I had bad luck with the dealer in my town but I'll check if there's another guy nearby that might be able to do things besides truck boxes.
you could try that Plasti-dip stuff too...it comes in sray can form.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

haugy
05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
What about that crap that the guy sprays on the screen door on a fishing boat? On TV? :D

DAFF
05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
I have a feeling that the bottom is flexing too much for any covering. Even the bed liner will have the same comming appart issue in time. I think you should grind the bottom and add one more layer of 5/8" plywood and glass it in too. This will give it more strength and not compromise the clean look. Bed liner looks dirty and reminds me of rocker guard half way up a door pannel when not in the back of a truck.