PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problem.

Mani
05-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I went to run my boat on a hose yesterday to see if she was lakeworthy, and I hit an ignition problem. The ignition switch won't disengage. SKIDIM says it's due to a low amperage problem, which would've made sense at the time, because it drained both my batteries. I charged them overnight, hooked them up, and the ignition still will not disengage. The starter has plenty of juice, and turns the motor over just fine, but it just won't disengage.

Any ideas?

OUI
05-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you have a bad switch.

Mani
05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
By switch do you mean the key ignition, the ignition relay, or the breaker? I'm thinking relay.

lively
05-19-2012, 12:56 PM
How old is the starter .. Could be bendix gear stuck or needs to be replaced . Start it up and remove the positive cable going to the starter and see if it stays on

OUI
05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Ignition switch.

CornRickey
05-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Mine did the same thing when my battery was low and I had bad connections to my starter. I also found my starter had paint on the metal to metal contact between the starter and engine block (poor ground). Try crossing the terminals on the starter and see if it disengages after you break the connection (with the key on) with will rule out the ignition switch.

ts6mnewbie
05-19-2012, 10:52 PM
I recently replaced my starter solenoid because the old one looked corroded and figured I would do some preventive maintenance. The first time I started it the starter stayed engaged. The new solenoid stuck closed and would not open. I checked continuity across the two battery cable terminals to verify. Took the new solenoid off and shook it,there was definately something broken inside. Put the old crusty one back on and it's been perfect ever since.

lively
05-20-2012, 12:23 AM
I recently replaced my starter solenoid because the old one looked corroded and figured I would do some preventive maintenance. The first time I started it the starter stayed engaged. The new solenoid stuck closed and would not open. I checked continuity across the two battery cable terminals to verify. Took the new solenoid off and shook it,there was definately something broken inside. Put the old crusty one back on and it's been perfect ever since.ha ha .. if it aint broke dont fix it

ts6mnewbie
05-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I know right ? There is a fine line between preventive maintenance and messing with something that works just fine. Lesson learned.

Mani
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
It was the ignition relay. It was stuck. Took it off and hit it a few times, put it back on and it works just fine.

Thanks, guys!

lively
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
think of it as a old ford ... always lol