PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Launch DD Vapor Lock??

SupraBoarder
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2001 Supra Launch DD with the TBI engine. This past season the boat would stall out occasionally after running for a while, and then would not start for quite a bit of time. I've noticed it happens much less if we do not turn the motor off while out on the water. After browsing various forums, I think that there's a possibility it may be vapor lock, however I wanted to see:

What I could do to verify that this is the problem...
What I can do to prevent it from happening in the future...
Nine seasons have gone by and we have not had any issues, so why now?

The fuel gauge has also stopped working recently. Could these problems be related??

Hope all is well. Thanks very much.

-Shawn

CornRickey
05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
vapor lock usually happens after letting the engine heat sink after running it for a while and the gas in the line and fuel bowl vaporizes. Since this is a TBI and its happening while your under way I'm thinking this isn't your issue. Fuel Injection systems use high pressure pumps that usually overcome any vapor lock issues.

Salty87
05-19-2012, 07:51 PM
changed your water separator/filter lately? getting regular maintenance?....9 seasons w/o issues is a great streak.

SupraBoarder
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Salty87,

We haven't replaced that in a while, so I'll start there this weekend. Will let you know. Thanks.