PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a guy named Nick Gorham from the Dallas area... Bought my Supra from him.

cole1
05-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I bought my Supra from him last year and I am very happy with it but I need to ask him a question about how to switch from the rear gas tank to the front... If anyone knows him will you pass along this message and my phone number/email? Thank you very much!

918-978-9058 or [email protected]

haugy
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Is it an electric switch under the dash? Many vehicles have a hidden switch.

Or a ball valve located near the pump?

cole1
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I looked for a valve with no luck at all... There is a switch under the dash and I flipped it but it didn't do anything... Do these boats have an electric boost a pump before the mechanical pump?

jet
05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Or a manual switch. Follow the gas line and see if it leads you to it.

cole1
05-21-2012, 11:14 AM
It looks like the gas line goes into an electric pump of some sort... along with the line from the rear tank...? does that sound right?

haugy
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
If the both lines from the tank come into one spot, and then only one line goes out to the motor, that's the switch pump. I believe some pumps can have it setup to be able to switch tanks from within the pump. Follow the wires out of the pump. One will be ignition hot, and the others should lead to a switch. Should be a fuse inline somewhere, check that.

cole1
05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
I will check on that and see where those wires go. I assume this is all aftermarket? Comps didn't come with two tanks and an electric pump? I also found out that I have a heater under the front storage as well...

haugy
05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
No, comps did not come with two tanks. Nor electric pumps. So you are going to have to track it all down, the power feed, the relay, the switch, and don't forget to check the ground first.

cole1
05-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Is there a need for an electric pump? Maybe what I am seeing isn't a pump at all... Maybe its just an electric switch that shuts one off and opens the other? I will do some checking on this... If thats the case I would rather switch it to a manual style set up... Would this work with just the mechanical pump? To be honest and I know this sounds backwards but I am much better with fuel injection... Here is a pic...9839

docdrs
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
That does not look like a pump , its a y. Right now you are drawing from both tanks. Close one valve and you will be drawing from just the open tank. Follow the lines and label them so you don't get confused. I would expect the top to be the bow and the bottom to be the stern tank, if it was me setting it up.

wiatowski
05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
That does not look like a pump , its a y. Right now you are drawing from both tanks. Close one valve and you will be drawing from just the open tank. Follow the lines and label them so you don't get confused. I would expect the top to be the bow and the bottom to be the stern tank, if it was me setting it up.

I agree thatit's not a pump. But I don't think it's a straight Y either.. To test if it's just a y or not you could run the boat, and turn off one valve... if it continues running for a time.. then shut the open valve and open the other and see what happens.... if it is just a y then it should run no matter what. and then the only difference I could see making is, making sure that one valve is closed when filling your tanks so you don't get leveling.That way you can make sure that they are both filled up.... but with that cord going into it I would assume that it's an electric valve... did you find were the electric wire goes to?

haugy
05-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh, that's an easy fix. You're showing two inlets, with ball valves right before the Y-joint.

You can't have both open. It will work for a while, but once one gets empty, it will continue to pull from the empty one as it's easiest, air.

You need to have one ball valve closed. Me personally, I would do it that way so I can measure it too. Always have one valve closed, this will allow you to measure your consumption if one of the tanks doesn't have a gauge, and prevents you from pulling air and not the other tank.

cole1
05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
The picture is what I am looking at doing. It's not the current set up. I should have been more clear. The way it's set up now it has two hoses running into a pump or switch (black box with two inlets and one outlet and 5-6 wires coming from it). I am thinking about going the manual way like what's pictured. Haugy you are spot on I only have a gauge going on the rear tank. I can just run the front until its out then switch to the rear.

DAFF
05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
When on the water simplicity is the key.... Do away with the old electricial method and run the one which you have pictured. The nice thing with the older mechanicial fuel pumps is they will pull fuel a long way with little complaint. I would add a fuel sending unit on the front tank and put a guage on the dash where the hour meter is. Move the hour meter to the side pannel or somewhere else, for it is not that important.

One thing to consider is the return line. It will more than likely run to the rear tank. But you could use this fuel as the secondary reserve, when the front drains you still have a litttle fuel to spare.

haugy
05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
The picture is what I am looking at doing.

Ohhhhhh, oops. Yeah, I'd go the manual route. Plus, if you ever need a fuel shut off, you've got it.

cole1
05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Would there be any trick to priming when I switch from one tank to the other?

DAFF
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
No the fuel pump on the engine should be just fine.