PDA

View Full Version : Why's My Bilge pump running so much? oh yeah, the water intake hose on the waterpump

webbbrad
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Had a great day on the lake saturday, but started noticing the bilge kept running>> previous weekend, the hull stayed DRY.. thought maybe it was ballast bags, but they stayed full.
Dripless seal.. shouldnt be that? SO finally i opened the engine compartment to find water spraying out of water hose going into water pump.. it had been rubbing against the pulley on the alternator.. NICE...
DUCT TAPE to the rescue.. adjusted the hose to get it off the pulley, let it dry and put a few wraps of duct tape.. then some nylon reinforced tape.. all good to finish the day.

Now i gotta get a replacement.

Gonna check SkiDim.com.. Local indmar dealer's parts guy is out sick today.
Any other suggestions of where to get?? i am guessing this is not a "Stock" autoparts hose...
INDMAR 340 CAT engine..

suprasam
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
If its the hose I am thinking of, you can take off and go to your local auto parts store and they will either cut you a piece or have one really close to the size you need and then you can cut it to fit.

kevkev
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I went to the local hydraulic hose distributor and found a hose with a single wire in it and re-routed mine to keep it away from the pulley. It seems to be a really bad design making it squeeze between the exhaust and the pump. I ran mine between the exhaust and the transom then to the water pump (no kinks like there were before). I also got two t-bolt clamps to secure the hose instead of the crappy worm gear clamps that they use all over the boat.

webbbrad
05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
after calling around all day, i got one on order from inboardonline.com already shipped today! great service!

Bad design as it does not stand off far from pulley. have to make sure new one goes in place properly.