PDA

View Full Version : 2005 supra over heats when idle

Number45
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Ran the boat for the second time this year and started having problems with the boat overheating when idle. When moving the temp dropped back down to normal operating temps. Soon as we stop and idle it starts to warm up again. We pulled the boat out and hooked up a garden hose to the water intake. Ran it out of water fine idle for a good 30 min no problem at all. The temps stayed right where they should.

Does this sound like the water pump going bad? or does anyone else have any ideas?

2005 22SSV.

Thanks,

Sluggo
05-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Can you give us a little more information such as how you are connecting the garden hose, when you last changed your water pump impellar, and if you have check your strainer and hoses for blockage prior to the water pump? Long shot but it could be a thermostat stuck inbetween positions and if you are forcing enough water in there with the hose vs the regular pump pressure, it might stay cool on the hose but not on the lake.

Number45
05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I pulled the strainer. It was clear. I took the garden hose and hooked it to the out line on the strainer basket. I am not sure when the impeller was last changed. I didn't think it was the thermostat because I would have thought it would overheat all the time then not when just idle. When running and moving the temp is at normal temps.

Jetlink
05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Two things come to mind, first being that when you run on the hose, the overall temp will always be lower than on the lake. That might have something to do with it being able to idle just fine on the hose without over temping. Second, with a worn impeller, it might not be as efficent at moving water, therefore it has to work harder/faster in order to get enough water going. I would place money on the impeller being worn. I would replace it anyways as it is like a $20 fix regardless.

iwakeboard
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
What temp do you consider overheating? Mine heats up a little at idle/neutral too but I was told it's normal for a minimal warm up.

wotan2525
05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Impeller for sure. If you don't know when it was last changed, it's bad.

lively
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Ok a few things just to sum it up ... When the fake lake is hooked up the water is forced into the (raw water pump) then the
(circulating pump ) distributes the water throughout the block ..

Now if u are in the water and the raw water pump has to suck the water from the bottom of the boat into the block ...

Therefore if the raw water pump impeller is old , broke an ear off , or just is formed to the inside casing from sitting .. This in turn
Will not allow the pump to do it's job .. It has to be removed and conditioned when u winterize to give it's full life span ... Its
Rubber and when rubber becomes hard it does not allow the water to flow correctly ..

I'm 99% sure ur impeller is need of changing .. Mine did the same thing runs great on the way but always heated up at idle ..
Change ur raw water pump impeller .. Hope this helped

Number45
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Anyone know of a write up for changing the impeller as well as where I should find the right one and buy a impeller from? 2005 22 ssv supra gravity edition 325 Indmar.

lively
05-22-2012, 12:37 PM
YouTube man .. If u never have changed one they are real easy .. Just make sure u twist it going in ..

Google and YouTube should be great research engines for this ..

*follow the intake hose from bottom of boat to the pump that is the Raw water pump impeller .. Or u might have one that
Externally mounts to the harmonic balancer , just look at the inline hoses till u find the pump , then remove and set on bench ,
Look for manufactures name and part number .. Then go to goolge and search !*

Easy smeasy !

jzelt
05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Skidim.com for impellar.

I don't remove the pump, I just take the small screws off, take needle nose plyers, pull the old one out and lube up the new one, put the gasket on and the screws back in. Don't overtighten the little screws. Just finger tight and another 1/4 turn or so...

DAFF
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
When you pull the impellar compare the new one to the old If there are pieces missing chances are they are stuck down stream somewhere. If this is the case they can become lodged near the T stat and rarely get too far down stream.

Have you ever started the boat without water attached to the cooling system?? This could be when the damage occoured to the impellar.

GA2001Launch
05-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I use vasoline to help get the new one in. Did it several times with no lube and it can be a real pain. Difference is night and day. Just put a nice thin layer on all of the fins and twist the impellar some as you install, it will slide right in.

fastab
05-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Impellor is always the first thing to check and replace, but you mentioned that you have a strainer, make sure that the strainer oring is there as this will allow it to suck air if it is not in place, the threads should also be sealed on the fittings for the strainer.