PDA

View Full Version : Anything I should replace off the bat on '88 comp?

buckwyatt
07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I just bought a 1988 Compt t6sm, should I replace anything right off the bat? I have heard I should replace the seals on the rudder and shaft, but this is my first inboard boat.

Salty87
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
all depends on the boat and the care it has seen. congrats on your boat purchase!

if the previous owner had it in running condition and was running it somewhat frequently, then you probably don't 'have' to replace much.

if it hasn't been run in a long time, then you should probably update a few things. here's a short list:

fluids...i'd change the oil and filter, and check the tranny fluid
hoses... if they're soft then replace em
belts... if they're ratty then replace em. if not, tighten as necessary
points and distributor style ignition (vs electronic)... get a tune up kit and replace it all
plugs...if you do the tune up, change the plugs

the shaft and rudder seals should be inspected, on the water, to see if they're leaking. the shaft seal, if it is flax rope, should drip a few times every minute to lubricate the shaft and seal.

check the battery to see how old it is, you don't want to get stranded.

some things you'll want to get comfortable with
voltmeter...comes in very handy diagnosing problems. i keep mine on the boat with me.
manual...get a manual for your engine. the original owners manuals don't cut it and are hard to find. just suck it up and buy the shop manual for your engine, you will need it at some point.
www.skidim.com these guys have all the oem parts you'll need. one of the guys there, vince, also used to own a comp and knows his way around them blindfolded....great folks.

good luck!....where's the pic?