PDA

View Full Version : new to forum, and need advice

ckolek
05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi, my name is Chris and i am looking into buying a 1986 Supra Saltare. i went today and looked at the boat, boat is in great condition interior is new has 437 hours on it, fires up and runs flawlessly.. My main concern is that i looked over the entire boat the only stress cracks i could find were around the rudder. is this common? also are there any common problems that i should look for? here is a link to the add for the boat any other advise would be appreciated. thanks in advance http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3026406430.html

docdrs
05-27-2012, 07:22 PM
stringers and floor, motor mount bolts,

ckolek
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, the floor is very solid I did not put a wrench on the motor mounts however looks very solid and dry. I have a car that I will be trading for the boat. I would love a second opinion if your going to be in the Houston area I would be willing to pay you for your time.

ruby23m
05-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Thought i would chime in. I have an 86 saltare i bought 3 years ago. It had 400 hours and was in very good condition visually but had its soft spots in the floor. If the floor and stringers have been replaced the price is ok. I paid 8000 but would have asked lower if i knew what i know now about these boats. Jusr be careful!

jet
05-28-2012, 08:10 AM
If they dont have PROOF that the floors were done, thats a automatic $4000 deduction. Dont take there word for it. This is the same reason Im redoing my floors right now.

DAFF
05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Very few of these biggens still have solid stringers and floors. Nice boat but the $$ is nearing the composite region..

haugy
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I have to agree, while it's a nice boat, it's awfully high on price. But if you think the floor is solid enough, and worth the price, it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it.

I do like how they try to up sell it by saying "Kevlar Edition". LOL They are all Kevlar composite, that's like saying hey our car has tires on it, it's special.

That's a great looking boat, if it runs great and you've had a mechanic check it out and do a compression test, and you feel it's worth it. Go for it.

sybrmike
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Beaumont & Vidor? Just how deep is the redneck in your family tree?

Chris - I might be able to run up later this week (~ 1 hour away) depending on my schedule if you still need a second opinion. I'm no expert, but know first hand how deceptively bad things can be down below & what's involved in fixing it right. Fortunately, I knew what to look for and bargined accordingly for my basket case. Regardless, it looks all nice & shiney but cosmetics are comparatively cheap - check it out real good.

ckolek
05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the replys and offers , however I have decided that this boat is not worth the gamble for me. I had a trade agreement worked out for a custom street legal dune buggy that I built a couple of years ago and I'm just going to sell it outrite and find a boat that I feel comfortable with.. Again thanks for the help you all seem to be a great group of guys and who knows I may end up with a supra.
Thanks
Chris