PDA

View Full Version : No more 1157 bulbs!

joel210
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Replaced with harbor freight L.E.D light kit, hopefully they will last awhile. Only $39 bucks, so not a big loss if they crap out. Going to change out the rest to L.E.D as they burn out.

jet
05-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Looks good! welcome to the club. Now get the side markers to. With the all replaced loading at the ramp at night time is easy because It lights up the water like a runway at night time.

Okie Boarder
05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
When one of mine burned out last year I just replaced mine with the entire housing in LED for the rear lights and got LED side markers too. Definitely brighter and we shouldn't have to worry about lights burning out now. I think I was in it for around $100 total. Enjoy...should make a big difference, even how you did it.

DAFF
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
LED trailer lights are the way to go. When they start to burn out you still have some time before they go dead completly. I run them as much as possible on the trucks too.

haugy
05-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I converted mine.

I recommend this site. I get all my trailer stuff from them. Clear LED lenses with bright as hell red LEDs in them. They look great on my black trailer. Great prices and they are fast as hell.

www.etrailer.com No I'm not spamming. I just love this site, since I've got 3 trailers to upkeep.

Here are the lights I get from them:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL82RCB.html

Hematoma
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Replaced with harbor freight L.E.D light kit, hopefully they will last awhile. Only $39 bucks, so not a big loss if they crap out. Going to change out the rest to L.E.D as they burn out.I'm going on 3yrs with that same kit not a problem yet. My trailer was in and out of salt water in that time and still no problems.

wotan2525
05-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I also converted to all LEDs a couple of a years ago. Oddly enough, I found the lights for a lot cheaper at the local truck stop than anywhere I could find online. Just another option to look at.....

Blackntan90
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
I did all the trailer lights as well. The problem then becomes how the harness runs through the trailer-there is no way to secure the harness th keep it from chafeing through. I used about a mile of 'split loom' tubing and a few rolls of good vinyl tape wrapped around the harness, this has worked well for several years so far.

On a side note, chafe inside the frame of the trailer is what caused me to loose my surge brakes when the brake line from the tounge to the front axle wore thin and I had to make a quick stop. Scared the s@#* out of me(almost). I replaced the line with a normal line, but I painted it, and put short(1") pieces of rubber hose spaced 6-8" along the length to reduce the chance of ever having that happen again!

wotan2525
05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
On a side note, chafe inside the frame of the trailer is what caused me to loose my surge brakes when the brake line from the tounge to the front axle wore thin and I had to make a quick stop. Scared the s@#* out of me(almost). I replaced the line with a normal line, but I painted it, and put short(1") pieces of rubber hose spaced 6-8" along the length to reduce the chance of ever having that happen again!

If you ever run into the problem again (let's hope not!) you can replace that line with a flexible rubber line. I think this is what the new trailers have installed -- should last a lot longer and is MUCH easier to thread into the trailer.