PDA

View Full Version : engine overheated

dickboxers
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Well the beautiful weekend had to be enjoyed from someone elses boat. Took the boat out saturday, and the first wakeboard session of the day got cut very short. I had the boat running while the skier was getting the board on and i was throwing out rope. After pulling him up i noticed the temp gauge was at 220. I stopped the boat picked up skier, and went back to shore. When we went in for the night the temp was good while baot was going back across lake, but when i got to boat ramp the temp started to climb agian. Seems like i was having to force water in to cool motor. I will be replacing the impeller, but was wondering if i need to check anything else that could have been messed up when the boat overheated. I have my fingers crossed that maybe it wasn't hot long enough to mess up anything.

OUI
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Don't forget to check the thermostat.

Gregmacdog
05-29-2012, 10:48 AM
As mentioned before, also check the sea strainer (if equipped) for debris and lake water inlet.

dickboxers
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
ANother issue i noticed was that even though both of my blowers work each blower only has air coming from one of the two vents in the back. So when you have both blowers on there is air coming out of two vents instead all four. Did something just come unhooked or can the become clogged.

wotan2525
05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
My blowers are only hooked up to 2 vents. I believe that is how they all are. The other two are just used for the engine to intake fresh air.

csuggs
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes - the exhaust vents are 1 per blower. The other vents are attached to hoses that will go into your bilge and/or fuel cell area for "natural" ventilation.

As for your motor - 220 is a little hot. Like the others said, check your strainer (if equipped), also make sure you don't have debris in the heat exchanger (trans cooler). Check for kinks or leaks in any of the 1" hoses, and if you haven't replaced the impeller, do it (you're already doing that, right?). Also, keep in mind that it was very hot last weekend, and remember that your motor should stay cooler when running. The temp will creep up on a hot day even when idling, and even more-so when you shut it down.

chautauquasun
05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Did you have the water pump off at anytime prior to this past weekend? If you did, check to make sure you didn't reinstall it upside down. You can't tell the difference between top and bottom it looks pretty much the same. If you have it upside down it would create the condition you described. If you run it upside down on a hose, the hose will have enough pressure to get water into the block with out the impeller. When I bought mine, the PO had just had the impeller replaced and had replaced the water pump upside down and I had the same problem. If the boat is in the water and you see big bubbles coming up from the port side...you will know that the pump is upside down. I hope that is all that is wrong because that is an easy fix.

dickboxers
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Awesome. Thats good news about the vents. Haven't had the water pump off so rules that out, but thanks for the heads up. I did read that on the website about waterpump upside down issue. I am replacing the hoses this week and ordering the impeller. I will check for clogging when i change out the hoses.

dickboxers
05-30-2012, 09:26 AM
I was going to put a perko flush kit, and now after viewing a few threads it looks like most people have sea strainers. Has any one put a flush kit and sea strainer in a late 80's comp. It seems like it might be to tight of a fit between the intake and tranny cooler from my memory.