PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully Getting 89 Sunsport

homer
05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm planning to drive to Arkansas this weekend to pickup this 89 Sunsport - http://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/2997967740.html

Its supposedly had lots of work done to it - new stringers, new floor, new interior, custom fabbed tower, hull refinishing, etc. Anyway, just wondering if anyone was close to check it out or could recommend a marine surveyor to check it out. It's a 10+ hour drive for me, and I'd gladly pay a surveyor to give me a report before making the drive.

Everything seems to check out ok, but you never know until you see it. I'm open to any feedback too. thanks.

haugy
05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry man, I'm no where near it.

That boat looks very familiar though. I don't know why, but it seems as though I have seen that boat before.

csuggs
05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I was kinda thinking the same thing Haugy. Looks familiar.

A word of advise - if you drive that far, it will be hard to talk yourself out of buying it if you find something questionable. Once you've got a 20-hr trip invested, you're not coming home empty-handed. I hope you can find someone to look at it for you - would be worth it in my opinion.

homer
05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I was hoping someone might have seen it before too, as it would seem to stand out a little. It seems to have spent its whole life around Arkansas though.

homer
06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
can anyone tell me what the original rubrail was on an 89 Sunsport? That would help me figure out if the cap has been split from the hull as would be necessary to do stringers.

csuggs
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Originall was a metal (either stainless or aluminum) rail with a rubber insert. But someone could have put the original style back on at some point. Also, rub rails sometimes get replaced simply because they are in need of being replaced. So I'm not sure what this will tell you. I would inspect below the floor. Look at the bilge. Does it look 23 years old or has it been re-worked? Do the motor mount bolts tighten good? Are there any water stains (rusty) running down from the motor mounts along the stringers? Is the floor solid? These types of things will tell you a lot. If the guy says he had the stringers done and you're suspicious, then ask for pics or a receipt.

Salty87
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
you should be able to see in the bilge where the new glass lays over the original hull. a shop may make it look completely un-noticeable but a DIY job most likely won't. the new glass should extend at least 6-8" past the stringer into the middle of the bilge running down both sides of the bilge.

clint's right...how dirty is the bilge? gives you a good idea of the care it's received.

homer
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Well, all good advice guys and VERY much appreciated! :) The owner is taking it to a local service shop this afternoon and they have a guy that specializes in fiberglass work. He's hopefully going to be able to tell me what the stringers look like and then HOPEFULLY I'm driving their tonight to inspect and buy the boat myself! I'm hoping it all goes well and doesn't disappoint. The guy seems very straightforward and honest, just not that knowledgeable and is the second owner since the work was done 5 years ago. If fact he put me in touch with the previous owner that had the work done, but he could not recollect if the stringers had repair or completely redone.

Hopefully the shop guy will be able to tell me what's going on.