PDA

View Full Version : battery choice

dickboxers
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
i put dual battery system in the boat in 2010 and used an optima blue top. I picked it because of it said it last through more recharges, but after two year it allready wont take a charge. I was wondering what everyone else uses for there accessory battery.

Sluggo
05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I used put in Adventure Power AGM's (Group 24's) when I first went to a dual battery setup in the Spring of 2007. Just now replacing them this Spring as they don't keep a charge very long and no where near what they used to. I keep a battery tender on them when not in the water and over the winter. I think I spent $500ish to upgrade to two Group 27's this time. I will be happy if I get the same 5 years out of them. Like I said the current ones are not completely dead, so I will probably use them in my camper which only has to hold a charge while we are on the road.

wotan2525
05-30-2012, 02:29 PM
I've run 2xWalMart Group 29s for 4 years now. Have always kept them on a ProSport 20 charger during the summer and maintain/recondition them with an Optimate 4 in the winter. At around $85/each I don't see how you can beat that.

I've not been impressed with the Optimas (seems like marketing hype to me) but I think it's just as important how you treat your batteries.

NorCalPR
05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
After my last optima failed on my Rig, I went to a Die Hard Platinum. 4 year free replacement warranty, 4 years pro rated after that. 220 dollars.

They have a marine Die Hard Platinum, 3 year free replacement warranty. Has the same exact internals as the automotive DHP. Only difference is the shorter warranty and it has the screw type posts as well.

tg0824SSVGG
05-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I also had problems with Optima's so don't use them anymore either, but was told they require different charging methods
than other batteries -- need high current charge always, but I don't know that.

The batteries in my Supra and in my camper at this time are all Interstate -- reasonable cost, reasonable charge.

86 century
05-31-2012, 02:34 AM
This may sound kinda stupid but the optima's need to be ran down to nothing every year and played with how you are going to use them.

I have had the same 3 red tops for 8 years now.
Oh yea they where all waranty returns when I got them.

cigars n scotch
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
The battery that came with my boat was an Interstate Group 24, and I am going to purchase another for my accessory battery. I am not real knowledgeable on batteries and such like a majority of these other folks are, but I've had no problems thus far. I also don't sit for 3+ hrs. with my stereo on. I posed questions about what I should do regarding batteries and what I should get for a second one and there were so many damn different opinions that no one could definitively give me advice that I felt I could follow. It all seems to be personal preference on brands and such. There was no consensus.

So, I'm sticking with what I have...

dickboxers
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Check this you tube video out.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21739-Recharging-a-quot-dead-quot-Optima-battery

I picked optima because alot of people use them for long periods, but looking at something earlier today i found you need to pay attention to the numbering system. For example the blue top 34 is only recomended for starting where as the 34M is recomended for both starting and deep cycle. I bount mine from a auto parts store so i probably only have the one for starting. I am going to try what the guy does in this video. I will let y'all know how it goes.

dickboxers
06-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Well, the trick didn't work. It did get it up to 9.63 volts where just the regular charger wouldn't. I guess my battery is just messed up.

rtpaxton2
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I spoke to a battery company and found out that Optima was bought out a few years ago. When they got bought out the quality of their batteries began to suffer greatly! If you have some older Optimas then you probably have a good battery, but the newer ones are "crap" (according to the battery companies). This company used to stock them and recommend them to customers. After the Optima buy out they said the quality was crap and they finally stopped stocking and selling them.

IMO... Go with an Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) battery. They are better designed to withstand the beating of running accross the water, and they "gas off" less than a standard lead acid battery. If you keep your batteries in the same compartment with the stereo equipment that means you don't have to worry so much about the hydrogen sulfide gas eating your expensive electronics. AGM batteries are also sealed and in a "gel" state so if you crack the case you don't have to worry about battery acid going every where. You can also mount them upside down if you chose and don't have to worry about them leaking. AGM will cost you more than a standard battery, but IMO it's worth the money.

The only thing you have to decide is what size you want.... 24, 27, 31?

dickboxers
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah. My acc. battery is behind the seat on carpet by my amps, thats why i went to optima. I am going to try the adventure power amg that sluggo uses. The trick i posted in that video did recharge a 7 year old die hard car battery that i thought was trash 5 years ago.

Kracker
06-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Either stinger or my personal favorite Kinetik. I have 5 Kinetik 2000 and a marine 200 amp alternator in my boat and never have a problem.

webbbrad
06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Interstate group 24 look for the ex model. Served me well on last boat

yjwrangler95
07-10-2012, 12:13 AM
We offroad a lot and have found Optima's aren't what they used to be. I have my boat stereo wired with 3 group 27 Superlex Batteries. They aren't hooked to the alternator, I can run three amps, for two days on 1 group 27, all three of them in parallel will last a few good days on the lake without a recharge.. I've had really good luck with the Superlex batteries. I get them from www.republicdiesel.com in the Louisville KY area.

dickboxers
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the website. I got me a kinetik. Worked good for starters. Hope it last. Did buy me a charger from the video i posted earlier in thread. I hope using it takes careof my problems.

ditchsnake
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
What he said. group 31 AGM
I spoke to a battery company and found out that Optima was bought out a few years ago. When they got bought out the quality of their batteries began to suffer greatly! If you have some older Optimas then you probably have a good battery, but the newer ones are "crap" (according to the battery companies). This company used to stock them and recommend them to customers. After the Optima buy out they said the quality was crap and they finally stopped stocking and selling them.

IMO... Go with an Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) battery. They are better designed to withstand the beating of running accross the water, and they "gas off" less than a standard lead acid battery. If you keep your batteries in the same compartment with the stereo equipment that means you don't have to worry so much about the hydrogen sulfide gas eating your expensive electronics. AGM batteries are also sealed and in a "gel" state so if you crack the case you don't have to worry about battery acid going every where. You can also mount them upside down if you chose and don't have to worry about them leaking. AGM will cost you more than a standard battery, but IMO it's worth the money.

The only thing you have to decide is what size you want.... 24, 27, 31?

cigars n scotch
07-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I just picked up 2 Group 29 Everstarts from Walmart, we'll see how they hold up. My battery went dead last weekend and these were sort of a rush purchase since I want to go out this weekend. Those AGM's are expensive as hell, I just can't see paying $400-$600 for two freaking batteries.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lasi
09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
After my last optima failed on my Rig, I went to a Die Hard Platinum. 4 year free replacement warranty, 4 years pro rated after that. 220 dollars.

They have a marine Die Hard Platinum, 3 year free replacement warranty. Has the same exact internals as the automotive DHP. Only difference is the shorter warranty and it has the screw type posts as well.

hmm yeah i agree with you i have been using Die hard Platinum for few years now. i should say one of the best