PDA

View Full Version : Very slow fuel ups ....

DAFF
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any issues when fueling up any of the newer boats. My 03Launch must have a vent tube pluged or removed for it spits fuel back at you when fueling up. Even sometimes when trickling in the fuel.

Whats the trick ??

webbbrad
05-30-2012, 04:54 AM
If you can get under and look at the hose from the tank to the fill neck you might find that it is kinked. I had an 04 outback that did same. It was cut about 1" too long And the extra caused it to crimp at a bend. Cut it shorter and put bak on and was great. Original owner said dealer had told him that was normal the way it filled. I didnt accept.

cadunkle
05-30-2012, 11:07 PM
My Saltare does this and I hate it. Takes forever to put 40+ gallons in at a trickle. Vent is not plugged or kinked, and does in fact flow air while filling more quickly for the first 1/3 to 1/2. If I go too quick it'll spit out the vent and fill, and if I go slow it usually just burps out the fill. Does it on the trailer or in the water. I have no idea, but I know it's pretty common on the older Supras. I would have thought they'd fix it on the newer ones like yours.

NorCalPR
05-30-2012, 11:50 PM
My 98 is the same way. When I first filled it up, I had the nozzle pointed down like normal. Boom, sprays me with gas. Turned 180, went full blast again, boom, sprays me again.

I have to have the nozzle upside down, and halfway pulled. I then watch the gauge and stop when the needle points at F, otherwise I get sprayed...

cigars n scotch
05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any issues when fueling up any of the newer boats. My 03Launch must have a vent tube pluged or removed for it spits fuel back at you when fueling up. Even sometimes when trickling in the fuel.

Whats the trick ??

I have this problem on my '08 and it pisses me off. This just happened to me last weekend and the gas leaked into my locker and I had to clean up the fuel. Why in the world don't boats have what automobiles have to stop the fuel when filled?

What I've now been forced to do is NOT fill up my boat but keep track of how much remaining fuel I have and then based off the number of gallons I just used to fill up I will have to make sure that I don't hit that number or will have to do a little monitoring. My dealer told me that with my boat (not sure if this is all Supra's) fuel gauge always has about 10% more fuel in the tank than it actually reads to help prevent a person from running out. That kind of makes it difficult to really gauge how much fuel is in my tank as well. I have never gotten to 40 gallons. Last weekend I put in 28 and it spit up. Man this angers me!!

Vent tube? Maybe I will check to see if there's a kink like stated above. I can't watch the fill meter since I trailer with my cover on and my cover has a gas cap flap so I don't need to undo the cover.

jet
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Its a combination of 2-things. Not enough venting and HIGH prices at the pump. If its spitting back at youtheres not enough venting going out. So you either have a kink, or a bug has built a nest in there or you might just to need to make it bigger. The other is the high prices. Not sure why but the higher the price goes the faster the gas flows,, which means your vent was enough for the older slower pump but now they are flowing faster and it cant keep up. my .02

KO21v
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I added another fuel port on the other side of the boat. Also added another vent beside of my ballast drain port. If it does spit it comes out under the rub rail now. With the extra fuel port open it gets all the air it needs now when fueling.

cigars n scotch
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I added another fuel port on the other side of the boat. Also added another vent beside of my ballast drain port. If it does spit it comes out under the rub rail now. With the extra fuel port open it gets all the air it needs now when fueling.

have any pictures? where'd you get the parts?

Hematoma
06-05-2012, 10:42 PM
As you know I have an older Supra, I don't have any problem filling up. When it shows over 3/4 a tank I start trickling it in otherwise I get drenched with fuel. It sucks @ss when your on the way to the lake and your board shorts smell like fuel.

jet
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, anytime someone does a upgrade or takes care of a problem, we need pic's!!

NorCalPR
08-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Finally, fixed my slow fuel up issue on my 98 comp. I went from being able to BARELY hold the trigger, to holding it halfway. Can't go full blast, but I'm happy with holding at half. Better than taking literally half an hour to refuel...

My comp has a black plastic Attwood vent. It's angled downwards. I also checked the vent hose and it was not kinked, but was sagging in the middle. I zip tied it up in the middle. Any water that gets in the hose will go back out to the vent, and any gas that gets in the hose will go back to the tank. Took the boat out, filled up, and it still wouldn't fill.

I removed the vent, and there was water in the black plastic cap. I filled the tank without the cap, and it filled with no problem. I put the cap back on, it filled with no problem.

What's happening is the vent is filling up with water, that's plugging up part of the holes.

The gases have to pass through the tip of the threaded piece (at the tip of the vent) then travel back to the holes next to the boat. If water stays in that cap, it'll plug off some of the holes at the tip.

If you drill a small hole at the corner, at the bottom of the cap, the water will be able to drain out of the cap, keeping the holes free.

Check your vent after taking the boat out. If there's water in it like mine was, it's plugging vents.

Blackntan90
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I had the same problem, traced it to the vent. After replacing the plastic vent with a high quality stainless one the problem is gone-well I am also at half throttle on the nozzle- but alot better than it used to be!

tg0824SSVGG
08-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes, anytime someone does a upgrade or takes care of a problem, we need pic's!!

Keith didn't post pictures when he did this upgrade, but he did describe it, and provided a source for the part ....

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10823-Extra-Fuel-Filling-Port