PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat repair needed?

waterboy2010
05-31-2012, 12:05 AM
When I get home from the lake and start wiping my boat down I notice I am missing a chunk of my gel coat on the bottom passenger side of my boat. I is right in front of the wheels on the edge of the hull. I am not sure if a large rock from trailering hit it and cause it or if I somehow hit something in the water that I did not see. Could loading it on the trailer cause this? It seems like this part would come into contact with the backside of the carpeted fender so I dont really see that happening but then again I guess anything is possible. By looking at the pictures do I need to repair any fiberglass or just the gel coat? If I only have to repair the gelcoat could I hold off on it right now or would I need to have it done before I put the boat back into the water? Thanks in advance for the input.

lively
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Body puddy and white gel coat .. 2 hours to do the job .. Easy

wotan2525
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
And -- to the people that are always claming that you're going to wet-sand through the gel-coat.... check out that first pic. Gelcoat is THICK!!

Salty87
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
corners like that can get too much resin and end up brittle.

not sure what year boat but if you're not too particular about color match i'd go with white marine-tex. it's a real bear to sand but you can get it nearly perfect with a wet plastic straight edge before it sets up.