PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Fresh Air Exhaust for 100$ (Sunsport 87)

olivier_20
05-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey guys, Here's my new fresh air exhaut system made by me and two friends , it take about 6-7 to make it but it's really nice !!

Material we use :
- 3'' stainless pipe 1' long (free)
- 3'' aluminium pipe 10' long x 1/8'' thick (65$)
- 2x 3'' stainless exhasut clamp (15$ ea.)

1- We cut the the 1' stainless pipe in half and weld each part to the plates that are srewed to the transom.
2- Couple measurment here and there + couple 22.5 degree cut on the aluminium pipe , welding all together
and grindind a bit to smooth it out.
3- VOILA !!
4- Now i have to decide if i polish/chrome it or powder coating flat black or blue like the boat will be paint next autumn !?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7216/7309178194_6b09cd0390_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7309189380_d513eb4864_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7216/7309183040_c5c7fbfc14_c.jpg

olivier_20
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7103/7309184512_c8b92e041c_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7245/7309206510_91a7490e02_c.jpg

kvand347
05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm digging that set up, man! You will have to let us know how it goes after you get it on the water!

olivier_20
05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
For sure i will let you know how good it is (i hope) and i'll try to have a sound clip !!

wotan2525
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks almost the same as a real one... good work! I'm curious as to how the rigid mounts will holt up. The FAE has several rubber mounts to isolate vibration and protect against impact damage.

Bravura88
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
That looks preety sweet! But was wondering the purpose of it. More horse pwr, better sound etc.

chrisk
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
The purpose is to kill the noise and fumes of the exhaust, muffles it with the water. That way you can hear better for conversation, tower speakers, etc.

CornRickey
06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Do you leave it on when cruising around? I would think that would put a lot of added stress on everything.

chrisk
06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, you leave it on. It does put a lot of stress on stuff, important to have it braced the correct way. Here's the product he mimicked:

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

To me, it looks like it's going to work out for him. He nailed the shape of it, just have to worry about bracing, but I don't think he's forgotten about that or anything : )

a_deleon
06-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Have you had a chance to drop it in the water and see how it worked out?

olivier_20
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the comments !! i drop the sunsport tomorrow on saturday june 9th... i had to rebuilt my reverse on the tranny and it's all done and it went really well (thanks again to M. Lively and his advices) so i will reply on next monday to let you know how much it make a difference.

For Bravura88 : yes i really like the big V8 sound but it's getting annoying sometime, can't teach to my friend how to wake, can't listening my music even with my kinda big sound system, lot of fume when wakesurfing and at the sunset when we are alone on the lake some neighbor don't apreciated much the exhaust sound...
So in short i want and hope to kill the noise of 50% at least and the fume the more as possible !!

Let's the short (here in Quebec) boating season begin !!! :D

a_deleon
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Hope it goes well when you take it out tomorrow.

Makes me want to try and build me one for my boat.

sybrmike
06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Looks like it should work fine. I think the "real" FAE increases the pipe diameter where the two combine to avoid restriction, but if these things "suck" like they say they do at speed - backpressure shouldn't be an issue. I like your bracing alot better than the original - hope it all holds tight for you & good luck tomorrow.

olivier_20
06-11-2012, 06:32 PM
*** First i want to say it's not a ''fresh air exhaust'' i use the name in the title as example, it look like one but it's not and multiple thing are different an it's for my personnal use only. And i'm living in Canada so....

RESULT : Amazing , the only thing i hear now is the spinning puley of the engine. sometime i have to look a the rpm to be sure that the engine is running !! engine idling really well , no heat , no fume at all , a very little vibration on the swim plate , no change in the wakeboard/surf wave , wave is very different at full speed but i dont do anything/sport in the water at full speed !!

I wasn't skeptical ont the result but i wasn't sure at the same time but as a final result : it's way over what i expect !! So is a pretty cheap upgrade to do if you want to quiet your big V8 a bit !!

sybrmike
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
First, nice disclaimer. Glad to hear it was a success for you! How did it change the wake at speed? Shape? Rooster tail? Move the hump?

Salty87
06-11-2012, 06:52 PM
great project. way to get er done.

don't hold out on the video!

olivier_20
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
sybrmike : Thanks ! At speed (30-35mph+) the wave is different close to the boat , it look like a rooster tail in a ''V'' shape and/or like a Outboard does to. But at a skier or barefooting distance it doesn't seem to affect anything except maybe the skier will receive some water from the rooster tail but i'm not sure as i don't ski or barefoot only wakeboard/surf , tubing and drink beer !!!

Here's a little video of my very 1st 2012 wakesurf ride on sunday june 10 at about 11h00 , it was recorded with my Iphone 3GS so it's not HD !! but you can clearly hear nothing from the exhaust ! only the moving water and a bit of wind , my buddy was sit on the back seat just above the swimplate. I hope you will enjoy the result as much as i do !! :p

https://vimeo.com/43893515

olivier_20
06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey guys !! After a couple days of boating i have to say that i'm still amazed by the result ! :D

87SunSportMikeyD
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Looks great, glad it is workin for ya!

Ryan351
01-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Resurrecting an old thread but to Olivier 20, I'm looking to build my own as well. I have an 86 pro comp, and DAMN it is LOUD.
My question is how did you go about forming the downpipe?

Thanks and nice build.
Ryan

olivier_20
01-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Resurrecting an old thread but to Olivier 20, I'm looking to build my own as well. I have an 86 pro comp, and DAMN it is LOUD.
My question is how did you go about forming the downpipe?

Thanks and nice build.
Ryan

Hi mate ! Yeah our boats are definately really loud !! For our venturi exhaust system : we started by doing the left exhaust to the right exhaust connexion with the elbows , After that we used Hole Saw to make an exit hole in the middle of that 'L&R connexion'... For the downpipe, we took the rest of our aluminium pipe and cut one end with a Hole Saw to get a half-circle pipe end. We put that half-circle end over the exit hole on the ''L&R conexion'' and measure it down to the shaft level or propeller nuts. Then for the last part: the other end of the downpipe was machine press a bit , a cut at a 45 degree angle and weld up the downpipe to the L&R connexion with a little angle (eyes view angle that seem great for us,nothing scientific here !).

Take a look at the pics in the 1st post while reading my explanation... I'm french and my english is not the best in the business !

I hope i help or enlighten you a bit !!

Ryan351
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Olivier Thanks for the reply!!
I actually stumbled upon this thread via Google search hoping to find some real world noise level reduction! And from your experience I'm sold!

Yeah makes complete sense. I was curious as to how you got the "wedge" cut on the downpipe, more for the angle, and 45° is exactly what I'm looking for.
So from there you just kinda smashed it with a press to put the oval shape to it?
Sounds easy enough!

Any issues thus far with strength of the unit?
I believe you mentioned a rooster tail at wakeboard speeds, how far does it reach out?
My sisters waterski so 28mph is common, any issues up at that speed?

Thanks again
Ryan

olivier_20
01-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Olivier Thanks for the reply!!
I actually stumbled upon this thread via Google search hoping to find some real world noise level reduction! And from your experience I'm sold!

Yeah makes complete sense. I was curious as to how you got the "wedge" cut on the downpipe, more for the angle, and 45° is exactly what I'm looking for.
So from there you just kinda smashed it with a press to put the oval shape to it?
Sounds easy enough!

Any issues thus far with strength of the unit?
I believe you mentioned a rooster tail at wakeboard speeds, how far does it reach out?
My sisters waterski so 28mph is common, any issues up at that speed?

Thanks again
Ryan

I'm sure you will love that thing , it really reduce the sound a lot and no more exhaust smell when moving !
-Yeah the downpipe was just pressed till the oval shape was good enough for us !! not much of R&D HaHa
** juste remember to but the 45° in the right direction to have the venturi effect !
-Yet no issue at all with the strength, the only thing we ad that is not on the pics is some 3'' ID rubber hose to connect the transom pipe and the actual exhaust system. without the rubber it wasn't airthight and since it was direct metal contact it was vibrating a bit so i suggest you tu put some rubber and a good set of clamp of course !!
-For the rooster tail , it's really not that bad. At 22-23mph (my wakeboard speed) the tail is right about the end of the swin plate and doesn't go really further. AT higher speed the tail does go further but never enough to annoy or disturb a good ride on ski or wake !

here's a pic powder coated flat black when we paint our Sunsport last spring :
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p737/olivier_20/Le%20Sharkcuteur/null_zpsccfec2a8.jpg
the bolts clamps are rust i know... all the clamps parts are in stainless except the bolt ?? it's a bit stupid !

The paint job thread if your interest :
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14808-86-Sunsport-NEW-PAINT-!!! (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14808-86-Sunsport-NEW-PAINT-!!!/page2)

Aaron187
01-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi, how did you know how far into the water to go? Would you suggest going any less deep? I plan on taking this project this spring. Thanks!

Ryan351
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Olivier,
Love it!! Thank you so much! I thought about adding a rubber boot there as well!

Aaron-
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/FAE_Measurements_Needed.pdf

olivier_20
01-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Hi, how did you know how far into the water to go? Would you suggest going any less deep? I plan on taking this project this spring. Thanks!

Hi, i really don't know how far in is the best but logically it can't go deeper than the propeller to avoid restriction...
And if it goes to the shaft/mid-propeller level, i think the exhaust gaz & noize are expel in the propeller stream and that should help to improve the venturi effect by moving more water to it, and the stream should push all the unwanted stuff powerfully in a straight line so the rider pass over it without exhaust smell and not much sound anymore. That's what i think and experience tho !! again no R&D was made it was a one shot DIY !!

Look at some pics on google , you'll see ...Click to see some pics (https://www.google.ca/search?q=fresh+air+exhaust&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sFbXUoX0F_TKsAT04YCYAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=949&bih=675)

Ryan351
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Olivier,
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I posted earlier but it said something about the moderator had to review it! Shoot man, 3 posts and I'm already being watched by "Big Brother" ;-)

Anyway, that 45° is exactly what I was looking for, and I have a nice 20ton press that should do the trick nicely.
I'm thinking I'll just get mandrel 90° from my good auto parts place, and have it all powder coated.

Your boat looks AWESOME!

Aaron- if you go to Fresh air exahust website the have a page that shows how to measure your boat for them to make one, so I'm betting you can derive the exact length they build to, but as Olivier said, As long as you're close, I'm betting it'll be good.

Enjoy

olivier_20
06-09-2015, 08:50 PM
it's strange i received email about new reply's on my thread but there's nothing new ??? are the messages have been bloqued ??