PDA

View Full Version : No VIn on trailer UGH

FULL-THROTTLE
06-01-2012, 08:15 AM
I have the 86 sunsport listed below, I just realized the trailer has no vin on it, the sticker is long gone. When I bought it we did not put the vin on the bill of sale and the previous owner does not have any of his old paperwork. DMV said there is nothing they can do to help and I therefore cannot get a title for it. A major bummer, it is a real nice trailer, new tires bearings ect. any ideas??? If someone has a beat up trailer with a vin and wants mine let me know, you can scrap your and use the vin on mine??? it is a 1985 SMP dual axel.

22supra
06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I am not sure where you are located but when i bought my boat they also had no title for the trailer. What i did was register the trailer as a home made trailer. After figuring out the correct weights that satisfied the DMV it was titled. I am in Texas and have figured out most older trailers are this way.

foxriverat
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Guy I bought my boat from also lost paper work for trailer. In Illinois you can title it as a home made trailer. Which I did. 22supra is correct.

22supra
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Just be careful with the weights as you don't want to have to go back to the DMV with a bunch of changes. You need to come up with the empty weight then the carrying capacity to be sure it handles your boat weight. Don't think they have to be completely accurate but need to be close if you get pulled over.

86 century
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
It not that big of a deal. Like the others have said just tell them it was made before 1970 in indiana and she doesnt need a title.

You can go on the inbmv web site and print off a bill of sale. Problem solved

FULL-THROTTLE
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
The problem is the trailer has no previous registration and the RMV won't let me register a homemade trailer from out of state unless it has either a previous registation or title.

This is a royal pain in the a$$

foxriverat
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Do you have curency exchanges by you that do titles and license? Thats where I did mine. No questions asked for homemade trailer

wiatowski
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
The problem is the trailer has no previous registration and the RMV won't let me register a homemade trailer from out of state unless it has either a previous registation or title.

was thinking about this... call supra,or local state troopers, or DOT. aside from the sticker they put the V.I.N. on most companies are required to stamp the number somewhere. the manufacturer, or other authorities often know where to find them. This was a suggestion from the DVM office to me once and it proved successful.

FULL-THROTTLE
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
i found the factory 5 digit id number, but how do i find the vin?? any websites I can cross reference??

foxriverat
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Have you tried someplace other than the DMV? I walked in currency exchange. Registered boat from NY paid taxes. Told lady guy lost title for trailer but I have vin#. She said guy I bought it from in NY would have to apply for lost title. Then sign it over to me when he gets it. Or you can just title it as homemade. So I picked the proper weight and was on my way.

22supra
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM

This doesnt make sense, if your trying to register a home made trailer there is no previous info, I think this is where you have to be careful not to explain too much or ask too many questions......play dumb, when i did mine i almost got caught in a trap with weights they knew i was stretching the truth, ended up going to a different DMV office to start all over.

What state are you in?

22supra
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I just noticed your in MA, this is on the RMV website any homemade trailer over 3000# must apply for a MA assigned VIN. This is the link with instructions.

https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/PolicyBrowserPublic/PB/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Ftrailers.htm

FULL-THROTTLE
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
The state police inspection station is a real bear to deal with, they wany an affidavit from the previous owners, and the person that MADE the trailer. Give me a break I wanna puke