PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to polish the seat mounts?

haugy
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
I tried asking the guy in France what he used to get his to look so great, with no response.

My legs look like his in this picture, and I want them polished up like he did. I have a power ball for polishing the bike, would that work? What polish? Chrome?

https://forum.supraboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8796&d=1329865197

Salty87
06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
i remember those pics. are you going to clear coat? will they dull again?

i painted mine grey which blends with hull, carpet, and vinyl. no more corrosion, i hope.

wotan2525
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Mine look like the "before" pic -- and I just replaced them and noodled about polishing them. But then decided it would be too much work for something that is barely seen.

Google on how to polish aluminum -- it's pretty much the same as how we polish the outside of the boat. Start with most abrasive and move to least abrasive -- since there is no coating, you don't have to worry about going "too deep." Most people start with 800 grit and then step up to 1200, 1500, 2000. Then move on to an aluminum/metal polish on a wheel. It's time consuming but will turn out with a mirror finish just like is.

I've done far too many vintage bicycle and motorcycle parts like this.

And just like the outsides of our boat -- beware of anything that claims it can do it in 1-step or without any elbow grease. This just isn't possible.

Salty87
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
right but won't it just dull again over time?

CornRickey
06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Get a stiff and soft buffing wheel for your bench grinder use heavy rubbing compound with the stiff wheel to get down to nonpitted material. Be sure to keep things cool. I use a squirt bottle with water. Then use lighter compound to polish with the softer wheel. Another option is using mag wheel cleaner to remove the thick stuff then the process above. I finish with a metal polish then a wax. It's a dirty job. Wear safety glasses, the compound gets flung all over the place.

jonyb
06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Your lips?

tg0824SSVGG
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
You ok John?? :o)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonyb
06-07-2012, 10:10 PM
You ok John?? :o)

haha, yeah, just messing with him....

Sent from my keyboard on a PC