PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Also- tstruth

tstruth
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey Folks,

Had an overheating issue as well this weekend. While changing out the plugs I noticed a cap lying on the bottom of the hull. Come to find out it was a freeze plug that blew out. Knocked her back in and proceeded to get the boat ready for the maiden voyage. Dropper her in the water and and watched the temp gauge rise and rise. Now I pulled out the water pump last fall and bagged her up. Installed a new impeller and reattached the pump. Still the same issue. Blew out every line and still the same issue. Hooked up a garden hose to the transmission cooler hose and ran the boat. Impeller seems to be pushing the water the correct way but still the same issue. Next thing i will change is the o ring on the pump. I did not receive one when i bought the new impeller. Mine looked a little rough. Do you think this could be the cause of my over heating problem?

Please help...

joel210
05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
what does your oil look like? any water in it? milky white? check your thermostat in a pot of water with a thermemeter to see if it is opening up

tstruth
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Tried a buddies water pump from his boat. Still no luck. Thinking there might be a leak in the exhaust manifold. Any thoughts of how to be sure?

Thanks

tstruth
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Oil looks fine. Clean. No water in it. I removed the thermostat.

Salty87
06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
are you sure the water intake and output hoses are connected the correct sides of the pump housing?

tstruth
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Yes, I am positive. Buddies pump is marked.
Motor starts up and sounds real good. Would a head gasket leak cause this overheating issue, and lack of water flow?

Salty87
06-02-2012, 09:29 AM
i think you'd see water in the oil if it was getting past gaskets.

have you added o ring yet?

lively
06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
have you checked your circulation pump (on a car its call the normal water pump ) but i have seen the weep holes get clogged and you wont be able to see if the bearing is bad or not , how much water is coming out of the exhaust? are u underway when it rises the temp or at idle ? if you have an air compressor, pump up the intake hose and inspect for flowing water the air will push it out where the void is .. another thing you can check is grabbing the pulley and pull on it up and down side to side to check for play .. or u just have an air pocket

tstruth
06-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Last year before i winterized the boat she ran great. I went on this site and read the correct way to winterize her. I followed them step by step. When I picked the boat up from storage I changed the plugs, belts, oil and filter. I noticed my impeller was a little worn so i flipped it over to get the fins to turn the opposite way. I installed the pump and gave the motor a quick turn. She started up nice. I shut her down after three seconds and brought her down to the water. Tied her to the dock and started her up. She started smoking a little bit but I figured it was just the sea foam spray that i put in each calendar when I winterized it. I pulled out the trailer and went to the boat. She shut her self out and the exhaust was hot as hell. I waited till she cooled and pulled the water pump. The impeller was destroyed. I cleaned out the pump of the melted rubber. Bought a new impeller and reinstalled. Still the same thing. No water flow. Pulled the pump again and inspected the impeller. She was fine. Reinstalled the pump. I noticed a freeze plug had popped. I tapped her back in and she seemed to fit in nice. Hooked up hose to the water intake turn on the boat and had water coming out both baffles. I figured the freeze plug was the issue. Put her back in the water and still the same. Boat started up nice and the temp gauge continued to rise. Pulled off pump again and impeller still looked good. Reinstalled and decided that the thermostat was the issue. Removed her and left her out. Put her back together again and still the same issue. I figured that maybe my water pump is no good. Neighbor has a correct craft with the same motor. Installed his water pump on my boat and still the same issue.

Pulled the hose of the water intake before the transmission cooler. Filled the bilge with water. Put the hose in the water and turned on the boat. Only thing coming out from the exhaust was heat. No water what so ever. It seems so simple but I have know idea what to do next.

How about you guys?

Tom

michael hunter
06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I think you have the raw water pump in upside down . The CC engine may be a reverse direction unit so the pump will be installed upside down if yours is standard rotation.

Look on the rear of the intake manifold there should be a aluminum engine tag just behind the carb. Look at the model number the first letter will be P the second letter will be either R or L . If you dont have a tag the fireing order for a L [left rotation] engine is 13726548 the R is 18456273 . If your engine is a L the pump should look like mine in the picture [hoses close to the block] if you have a R then turn the pump 180 degrees.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/CarltonsPlatform214.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/waterpump001.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/waterpump002.jpg

CornRickey
06-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I had a high heat condition on my SN and found a disintegrated impellor. I put in a new on and continued to have the problem. Changed the tstat and worked on it for a couple days. I found that the chunks of impellor were jammed in the screen of the pump discharge and I also found a bunch of pieces in the hose running from tranni cooler to the raw pump. Removing these solved my problem. But having a freeze plug POP out is scary and Id pull the plugs and see if you have water deposits on them.

tstruth
06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I will do that. I checked the oil after I pulled the boat and it looked good. I will pull the plugs and check that. Would the motor still sound fine if I did damage to the block? When I hooked up the garden hose to the transmission line cooler and ran the boat water came out of the baffles, then again the water hose had pressure and most likely was pushing the water through. I did not see any leaking from the block or the freeze plug I popped back in. Would a head gasket cause any type of vacuum leak to the water pump impeller? I am sure once I find the cause for the lack of vacuum from the pump my problems will be solved.

CornRickey
06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Id worry about the stuff you know so far- your impellor went bad and make sure you don't have pieces still in there. I'm assuming the freeze plug pooled out because water was still in the block. None of this would effect the draft of the raw pump. If you hook a hose to it and get proper water flow through the engine with no water in the oil or in the cylinders then I'm thinking you may be lucky and the plugs did there job. You may have issues still but the two art related I would think. I don't think you have the same issues as the other person posting heat problems.

tstruth
06-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I hope your correct. I was thinking about doing a pressure check on the cylinders. If they check out OK i was going to take an air compressor and blow out everything back to the pump after I remove it and see if I have any impeller pieces clogging ports.

What do you think?

CornRickey
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd chase down the hoses, verifying everything is clear. Is also pull the belt and spin the primary water pump. What about the hull intake, vdrive plumbing? Is check all of it before doing a compression test. Did it run poor? I know if you have a leaking waterjacket into a cylinder through the head gaskets on a auto you get a pressurized cooling system that usually continuously bubbles. It also overheats the coolant due to combustion gases entering the coolant. With raw water boats I would think this wouldn't be a issue because of the continuous new coolant water. Don't discount the possibility of a gauge problem. With poor a poor ground mine red high. The plugs would be the place to look for water in the cylinders. Keep in mind I'm a shady tree mechanic not professional.

DAFF
06-03-2012, 08:42 AM
This is the best way to check for the correct flow. With the boat in the water full the two hoses running to the manifolds. Start the engine and be prepared to shut her down quick. If the engine cooling system is working correctly there should be a rush of water almost immediatly !!

My thought is debris in the intake flow.... Causing lack of water and overheating. Pull all the hoses starting at the raw water pump and head up flow. As for the frost plug, replace with a rubber one with locking nut in the middle. Sometimes they can look fine but have a slight out of round issue making them loose fitting.

tstruth
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks,

Will do that this weekend.
I appreciate all the help for you guys. I will let you know how it ends up.

tstruth
06-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Hello Guys,

Thank you all for your help with my overheating problem. Just got back from the lake. I had the water pump in upside down. Funny thing was my neighbor ski Nautique spins the opposite direction. So that through me for a loop. Thanks Mike for the pictures.