PDA

View Full Version : Nice Saltare in Houston on Craigslist

22supra
06-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Not mine just posting cause it's close to me. not sure of year but looks pretty good from pics.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3026406430.html

mapleleaf
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
a pic of the dash would tell more about it's yr, prolly a '90-91 I'd guess...Nice looking boat.

haugy
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd say closer to 88. Look at the walk through hatches. They are the drop down style. The 89-91 had a side hinge to swing them open.

Also, the rear seats have been converted to a bench. They are not the wedge style. The bench looks very plain and flat. My guess is there is more that needs to be done to this boat that isn't being mentioned.

Alex11
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Me and my dad have been looking for an old classic fast fun ski boat. We came accross this listing and from reading they sound like a fun fast boat. Why are you suspicios about the rear bench? In the listing it said he re did the interior so my guess is te guy doing it made it that way cause it was easier.

What all should we check if we do go out to look at the boat? It's my first time and it has been a long time since my dad has bought a boat. Is there anything we should know about these boats in particular?

Also what does the kevlar edition mean? I know it would be a trim level but I didn't know what all came with that trim and I haven't been able to find out much info.

Thanks in advance guys!

sybrmike
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking around '89 since mine has the teak trimmed drop down storage Haugy mentioned, but looks like it might be the backside of the later dash (not the earlier padded style) through the windshield.

All Supras of this vintage were Kevlar Supertrack edition - just a fancy selling term for saying they had some kevlar in the hull layup. Search around here & you'll find the biggest thing to watch out for is the stringers/floor. If you don't know what you're looking at, get someone who does - rotten stringers are a $5k pro job or $2.5k diy. The only problem with a non-original interior is that it suggests things rotted to the point of needing replacement & if the interior frames were rotten, the stringers probably were/are too.

This is the second time I've seen this boat listed - may just have to run up & take a look & report back

cadunkle
06-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Look for rotted wood, stringers, floor, seat bases and frames, etc. If rotted it will feel soft, spongy, or if visible obviously appear wet and dark. Bring a wrench (adjustable is fine) and try to tighten some motor and trans mount bolts into the stringers, they should be snug or if they turn should bite and hold moderate pressure. Don't crank on them too much though, they're only into wood and will strip easily of overtightened. Also you can tap on the stringers along their length with a hammer or your wrench, they should sound like solid wood, not dull or hollow. If they are rotted you will notice a large change in tone when going from a solid section to a rotten section.

All Supras of this era used kevlar. My understanding is they used it along the keel and in certain structural areas since it is stronger and lighter than fiberglass. Not a big deal, just shaved a few pounds from final weight.

Alex11
06-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Got an email back, it's an 86. NADA is showing an average value of just over 5500 what is a reasonable price if the floor and everything is in good shape?

From the ad it is the boat plus the trailer.

22supra
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I just sold my 89' Mariah for $10,500 in great shape in the same area for reference. Saltare is a bigger deeper boat so not sure what would be a good deal on it.

Alex11
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
The listing was flagged so I don't know what to think. Anyway to check up in boat ownership in TX we would want to make sure the tittle is clear or it and the trailer and there isn't anything fishy with it. Or would y'all just let it sit and keep looking?

22supra
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
You can at Texas Parks and Wildlife their website is www.twpd.state.tx.us/ Under the boating tab there is an inquiry page that will tell you ownership and any lien info.

haugy
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Got an email back, it's an 86.

Wooo hoooo!!! I was closest! :D

http://i33.tinypic.com/2afmnwo.gif

The listing was flagged so I don't know what to think. Anyway to check up in boat ownership in TX we would want to make sure the tittle is clear or it and the trailer and there isn't anything fishy with it. Or would y'all just let it sit and keep looking?

That doesn't mean anything. My old Mariah ad was flagged 3 times. I don't know why, it was a very detailed listing with large clear images. My guess is, people didn't like my very high price compared to others, or didn't like the fact that mine might have looked better than others. Don't know. But that doesn't mean much on CL.

Contact the person if you have their info.

haugy
06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Why are you suspicios about the rear bench?

I can see it in the picture. It is not an original bench. The Mariah/Bravura and Saltare/Pirata came with wedge style rear seats. So you know it was rebuilt to be a solid line bench. That's not a terrible thing, because if I ever overhaul my entire boat, I will convert mine to a rear bench as well. The bench is more comfortable for more people to sit straight on. (IMO).

But why redo the whole bench when just the vinyl was done? Was it all rotten from water damage? Or beat up? Those are questions I'd ask.

Here is what they should look like:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060238.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060240.jpg