PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Misalignment- 91 Mariah

selle92
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Not sure whats going on, but my windsheild is not lining up well anymore. Seemed to be fine when I got the boat a few months ago, but now the lip just barely hits the other side to hold. I hit a decent size wave sunday, it pop down and thru ( caused a big ding in the fiberlass where the edge hit on the bottom side too) NOT GOOD>

So, what would cause this? Is it possible to take out the outward plastic pieces covering the screws I would assume, remove screws and realign it somehow? Or do you have to fabricate a bigger metal lip piece so it covers?

Anyone had this problem, or give some pointers on best solution?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

KenG
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
This post mentions a similar issue on a 1998 Legacy, so it may at least give you an idea of where to start looking.

http://supraboats.com/msgboard/read.php?TID=952

selle92
08-10-2005, 09:37 AM
THanks Ken. I had thought it was mentioned somewhere, but didn't get thru the topics to find where it was.

That info helps a great deal. I think I'll end up tightening what I can, but also adding that flatstock to it as that seemed like a good solution.

Thanks again!
Joe

fixb52s
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I hate to say this, but a soft floor could also allow the windshield to misalign. The area around the helm is supported by the floor, and if it rots, it will allow the section to sag enough to cause the problem. I have seen this on many boats that have wood in the structure. The best fix is to seperate the top up enough to gain access and replace the floor.

selle92
08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Just curious since I'm a new boat owner...

If the floor was rotted, or sagging, wouldn't that cause either side of winsheilds to droop inward? Hench, there would be MORE over lap, rather than coming up short? Or would the outter of the boat flex outward to cause it?

I know on my older 91, the floors could use some upkeep too though. There is some soft stuff going on, and that could well as be the problem too.

thanks for the tip!

Joe