PDA

View Full Version : 2003 supra launch 22ssv Overheating!

Bballard16
06-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I just bought a 2003 supra launch a week ago and the first time we took it out, gauge showed overheating, called previous owner to see what was going on and he said it was fine it's just a bad gauge, so we drove it normally for about 30 minutes then the engine bogged down and we had major loss of power, so we shut it off and turned it back on to see of it was just messing up, then the engine like "locked up" so we got towed in, took it to a shop. They said it was a thermostat so they replaced it, flushed the system put a used sender in it. They said there was trash in the cooling system. The guy that previously owned it also said he changed the impeller a year ago. Took it back out on the lake after getting it back from shop and still had loss of power and bogging, and then the engine compartment started smoking white smoke and it smelt very funny. Not normal smell that a motor usually makes even if something is going wrong! I need help bad!! You know the story and everything behind it, please give me some input!!

CornRickey
06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Locked up as in it wouldn't turn over? That's the worst thing to happen. I'm assuming the mechanic pulled the plugs and checked for wAter in the cylinders? Man I hate to say it but this doesn't sound good at all. If the mechanic didn't check for hydrolock I wouldnt take it back there. Overheating to loss of power to "locked up screams warped head, blown head gaskets and hydrolock.

Salty87
06-02-2012, 05:23 PM
sounds like you smelled burnt rubber...exhaust hoses. now that they have cooled, give them a good squeeze. they should be firm. burnt hoses will crackle, have blisters, and start leaking water.

one of the first lessons someone showed me, you should be able to keep your hand on the top of the exhaust risers for a few seconds (2-3 seconds) before the heat gets uncomfortable.

a hot engine swells a bit. all hope is not lost yet. do you have any friends with inboards?...any friends into cars? the exhaust systems on inboards are slightly different from cars but still very basic.

tell us more...engine, fresh or salt water?