PDA

View Full Version : HELP knocking /tick tick sound coming from engine when throttle is enaged , 02 supra

rwadlow
06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
We have a 2002 supra SSV launch ....this weekend while wakesurfing all of sudden when the throttle was engaged we heard a tick tick tick sound very loud.
The boat has been serviced every year and still starts up fine (about 600 ++ hours)

Any ideas ...
All gauges were acting fine, boat started fine, idle speed and and slow throttle (like loading onto trailer everything fine) however when you get above 8 mph tick tick and never stops !
so frustrating ..

Please help if you can ..

Also should we take to the dealer (if we can't fix ourselves) or to a gear head shop ? The dealer knows that we always look at new boats and I am worried well they might say heck don't fix it etc. I am hoping it is something simple ...... any advice is so so appreciateD !

need to be back on the water surfing !!! :)

docdrs
06-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Check your v belt, may have a flat spot. When was the last time it was replaced

DAFF
06-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Perhaps it is the flex plate which transfers power from the crank to the trans... When these inner springs go they make a very unerving racket.

tg0824SSVGG
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I had a bad gasket that caused a tick like you describe. Head gasket. Mine was fixed under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiatowski
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
does the ticking speed up as the engine does?

haugy
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
First, I cannot help you unless you post the large picture of your avatar. Thanks.

Second,
does the ticking speed up as the engine does?

This question makes a big difference in what it could be. Please answer this one.

crystal waters
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I concur with the idea it may be your flex plate. Had same problem --just changed mine out as the springs were loose and causing the Tick Tick Tick noise!
good luck!

rwadlow
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
It seems to get louder and speed up .............
I do not know how to post a larger avatar picture LOL :)

thanks all boat is on the way to dealer now so sad !!!

wiatowski
06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
could be bearing... although that's more of a knock.... valve... although you said it only happens when you're moving right?

Haugy... I think you'll like the 4th pick in his photo album. ;)

rwadlow
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
when idling and barely moving like driving up to dock loading on trailer no noised.. only when throttle is engaged

wiatowski
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
when idling and barely moving like driving up to dock loading on trailer no noised.. only when throttle is engaged

if you put it in neutral and rev the engine is it there? easy way to diagnose whether it's the engine or tranny.

rwadlow
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
we put it in neutral and when we did that No noise.................

wiatowski
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
i would go with the springs as others have suggested then. I have not experienced it myself... but it's not engine noise which I'm gonna say is less expensive. :)

rwadlow
06-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Good news is loose coupling on the propeller shaft ($150 fix)
They also found and exhaust leak .........

There is a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter than has 190 hours on it tempted to trade the supra in but I love supras but there just is not any dealers around St Louis anymore ........

hmmmmmmmmm

docdrs
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
So the question is why did the coupler come loose. I hope they put new nylocks on the bolts and did they check the alignment. Just trying to be thorough. Glad it was simple

rwadlow
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
The engine is running rich too gonna troubleshoot and see what is wrong and why .....ran great past few seasons . Only thing we had to do three years ago is change out the fuel pumps maybe time for a tune up...........
AT least the knocking sounds was easy fix ! :)

lively
06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
The engine is running rich too gonna troubleshoot and see what is wrong and why .....ran great past few seasons . Only thing we had to do three years ago is change out the fuel pumps maybe time for a tune up...........
AT least the knocking sounds was easy fix ! :)knocking is only good with the wife .. never the boat lol

crystal waters
06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rwadlow
06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Heard back from the dealer I am telling you all this in case you have this happen to you :)
Exhaust manifold gaskets our bad (that is causing bad exhaust smell) then also exhaust is backing up in the engine department (may be causing the engine to run rich ) ........... New gaskets are not to bad about $15- $20 bucks a piece
Will miss this weekend on the water but will be back on the water next week and not to much money out the door so all in all a good thing !

Now going to the dealer has me having new boat fever hmmm ............

TitanTn
06-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Now going to the dealer has me having new boat fever hmmm ............

Resist! You have a gorgeous Supra. What are you wanting to get out of an upgrade?