PDA

View Full Version : Help with ignition

csuggs
06-03-2012, 10:36 PM
I have an older version of the Pertronix Ignitor ignition being used with what I think is the OEM coil wired through the original ballast resistor. My problem is after the motor gets hot, then I shut down for a little while, the motor won't fire. Starter cranks strong and the carb is getting fuel but not flooding. Today when I had this problem I noticed that the coil was VERY hot in comparison to everything else in the motor compartment. So I took some ice out of the cooler and cooled-down the coil. The motor started up almost immediately.

I'm wondering if this is really a coil problem, or if it could be the Pertronix causing the coil to overheat?

CornRickey
06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
The ignition system needs a min voltage. I think it is 9. I had this problem with my SN. I troubleshooting it by hooking up a jumper wire from the empty post on the starter solenoid to the pos side of the coil. This would allow full 12 to bypass the resister when starting and feed the coil/ignition. After the starter d/cs the current then goes through the resistor. After I found my problem then I bought a resistor coil and ditches the resistor all together. I think I had built up resistance in my harness to much for the resistor. Been working Aswome now for 5 years like this.

OUI
06-04-2012, 09:47 AM
It's a bad coil. Whenever a bad/weak coil warms up they lose power, that's why it worked after you cooled it down.

jet
06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Yep, sounds like a coil to me too!

CornRickey
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Possibly, with my situation a new coil didn't change anything. Possibly due to the resistance rating of the coil and ballist resistor. You have to go with one or the other. Using the jumper will give you a easy troubleshooting option. I didn't run it with it.

csuggs
06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm going to bypass the ballast resistor and see if the coil gets hot. In the meantime, I've ordered a new Ignitor II electronic ignition with Flamethrower II coil - just in case.