PDA

View Full Version : Another Ignition Coil Issue

greenhead84
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Ive got an 88 Comp with the original 351 ford. So, when i first took my boat out for the summer I couldn't get it started. I was trying to figure out why It wasn't getting any spark. I looked at my ignition coil and noticed that the cap had popped off of the body of the coil. It was an MSD Blaster 2 Coil. I went to the local marina and picked up a replacement for a coil with an external resistor. Put the coil on the motor, voila, it started and ran for about 10 hours or so. Yesterday, I went to start the motor, and no spark again. I looked at the coil and it had cracked again.

I went to the marina again to buy another coil, but I couldn't figure out if I need to get a coil for an external resistor set up or a coil with an internal resistor. And if I have a external resistor set-up. Where is the resistor located at? I figure that I need to get an internal resistor type coil since this one is obviously getting hot and busting. Does anybody know what I need to do?

Thanks
Jonathan

86 century
06-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Disconect the wire going to the + side of the coil check the voltage with a volt meter if you have 12v or there about you need a coil with an internal resistor.

If you have close to 6v get the non resistor.
Make sure you have a good ground from the body of the coil when the field in the coil collapes stray voltage can heat the body of the coil up and make it fail.