PDA

View Full Version : School me on Electronic Ignition conversion

dannyrds
06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I recently bought a 91 Supra Impulse, i have a few running issues with it and want to convert to electronic ignition, i have seen them online ranging from $50-$150, what is the difference i should be looking for? can anyone recommend one they have use before with success.

86 century
06-07-2012, 02:34 AM
I have used petronics with great results.

In every thing from a high rpm street car to a '60 dump truck.

In the last v8 I/O I had the wonderfull merc thunderbolt IV took a crap instead of spending $500 on a new module I replaced the dis with a points type with a petronics ran trouble free for three more years.

Hematoma
06-07-2012, 02:58 AM
I used an complete ignition system from a 89 or 90's bronco. It wasn't plug and play but it has been very reliable and it was pretty cheap if I remember. I bought a new distributor, ignition box and coil. No more points and I want to say I spent 250.00 dollars for everything. This was back in 08 and everything is still working great.

CornRickey
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Petronix, buy the coil too, ditch the points and ballist resistor and never look back. Conversion took about 30 minutes then hit it with a timing light-done!

mabbore
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
sorry to thread jack here, but have any of you seen a performance/economy/starting ease increase with this conversion. That 351 is thirsty and anything I can do will help.

CornRickey
06-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Well for me its tough to tell because I threw a new carb at it before the conversion and still had a no start when hot issue. Once I figured out the voltage issue the thing has ran and started like a dream. As for gas economy, I have no idea with all the different things I do with the boat. I left my ballist resistor in place and bypassed it just in case I have a failure I can revert back to points

Supra-in-steamboat
06-08-2012, 06:23 PM
$150.00 sounds like a good deal. I paid alot more as I purchased a distributor as well. Pertronix from skidim.com complete kit. The conversion made sense living at 7000ft. Starts eaiser, runs smoother, and gained a bit of top end. As for the thirstyness of the 351, I think I use a bit less fuel per hour, but love gasoline and can't say for sure. Good luck with your decisions.10142

Supra-in-steamboat
06-10-2012, 11:28 AM
my bad...I purchased a Pro Tec kit. Apologies.

Randy_M
06-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I am a very new thread subscriber and am having trouble with a '87 Saltare ignition after the boat set all winter. I have several stock GM HEI electronic distributors and would like to know if one of these can be substituted for the stock distributor with points? It appears it would solve several problems but I need some good advice.

86 century
06-11-2012, 04:37 AM
The hei will work just fine with the exception of the vacuum advance
That I am aware of all of the Gm never made a macanical advance hei.
They are not marine rated so if it goes boom your insurance may not pay.

Going to a marine petronix or similar unit in would be the way I would go but its your boat.

DAFF
06-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Excessive thurst is more in line to a carb out of tune or needing a rebuild. To me there is nothing better than a fresh rebuilt car and fresh filters. Just makes cents at 1.30 per litre or 5.00 a gallon.

Doing the electronic conversion will greatly increase the simplicity of the boats spark system, many people have no idea about points. Including some mechanics, they never see them anymore.

Randy_M
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
'86 Century -

Thanks for the reply. I may be incorrect but I believe some of the older GM HEI's had both vacuum advance and a built in mechanical advance. The mechanical advance can be changed by changing the spring strength on the weights.

Once again, I am certainly no Saltare expert (or boat) but it appears the HEI is completely self contained and a quick look of the original distributor doesn't appear to have any better isolation from spark containment. With that said, there must be some reason the swap to HEI is not done on a regular basis since it appears to be very straight forward and a much more dependable system.

Thanks.
Randy

wotan2525
06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I run a GM HEI distributor in my Saltare and it works perfectly. Mine is an aftermarket unit from KMJ Performance that was recommended from a drag-racing buddy. Thing has been bullet-proof for 3 years now.

The marine units are sealed against spark -- so it's all personal preference whether you would risk this. Here's what I feel -- gas vapor is heavier than air and may collect in the bottom of the bilge. The distributor (sitting up high) should be a safe. It's all up to you and your comfort level, though.

Randy_M
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Wotan2525 -

Does your HEI have both vacuum and mechanical advance? If so, did you do anything to change the mechanical advance?

Once again, I don't see that the HEI is not already sealed as well as the stock distributor again spark leakage but I am no expert.

Randy

86 century
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree the hei can't be any worse than point as far as the spark protection.

The vacuum advance would be the only reason I wouldn't use one.
And since there is a fix for that go for it.

Randy_M
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
86 century -
Would you be good enough to point me in the direction of the fix for the vacuum advance? Are you talking about just hooking up the HEI vacuum port to the carb? And will the stock mechanical advance work without modification? Thanks.

86 century
06-12-2012, 03:25 AM
I was referring to wotan's aftermarket set up. As the fix.

wotan2525
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I believe that my HEI setup has mechanical advance (but I also installed the vacuum line since both the carb and the distributor seemed to have provisions for it.)

All I can tell you is that it runs great and starts VERY easily every time (unless I flood it by pumping too much guess in it before I start it.)

Jetlink
06-12-2012, 06:28 PM
How much does a gallon of "guess" run? Is it cheaper than gas? :D

CornRickey
06-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Beers cheaper than gas.

86 century
06-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I believe that my HEI setup has mechanical advance (but I also installed the vacuum line since both the carb and the distributor seemed to have provisions for it.)

All I can tell you is that it runs great and starts VERY easily every time (unless I flood it by pumping too much guess in it before I start it.)

Have you ever ran it under a load and checked what the advance is doing.
If the vacuum advance works out right under marine loads it would go against every thing mercruiser,omc,pcm, and like us to beleave.

wotan2525
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Here's the distributor that I run.... http://www.kmjperformance.net/cart/product.php?productid=2264&cat=7137406&page=1

Why wouldn't vacuum advance off the carb work exactly the same way as it would in a street application? (Genuinely curious.... not trying to disagree or pick a fight.)

Hematoma
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
'86 Century -

Thanks for the reply. I may be incorrect but I believe some of the older GM HEI's had both vacuum advance and a built in mechanical advance. The mechanical advance can be changed by changing the spring strength on the weights.

Once again, I am certainly no Saltare expert (or boat) but it appears the HEI is completely self contained and a quick look of the original distributor doesn't appear to have any better isolation from spark containment. With that said, there must be some reason the swap to HEI is not done on a regular basis since it appears to be very straight forward and a much more dependable system.

Thanks.
RandyBecause people are paranoid about using non marine grade equipment. A marine dist doesn't have a vent or if it does it has a screen to prevent a flame. I have been running an AUTOMOTIVE ignition system for 3 yrs with no problem. I sealed the vent with RTV and around the inside of the cap. With that HEI I'm certain you'll need the ignition module. I'm running Fords version of HEI and I had to get the ignition module. Dist+coil+eletronic ignition module = smooth running. Another reason I opted for auto instead of Petronix was if something crapped out I could get parts at the local parts house.

Hematoma
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Here's the distributor that I run.... http://www.kmjperformance.net/cart/product.php?productid=2264&cat=7137406&page=1

Why wouldn't vacuum advance off the carb work exactly the same way as it would in a street application? (Genuinely curious.... not trying to disagree or pick a fight.)Our cam profiles are different than street, Most of your vacume is from cam overlap and what not. But I do run a vacume advance dist on my boat with no problems at all.

86 century
06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
There is this stigma about auto parts in a marine application.

There is no way anything could be more of a hazard than points. I'm not being sarcastic

The ford hei is real close to mercruiser thunderbolt. In layout and function

86 century
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
The cam profile should be fine. If your valve overlap is to the point that the vacuum is so low it will not run the advance you would have long since sucked water in the Eng.

dannyrds
07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
thanks for all the hei info, im going to go that route

kreckley
08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I just put mallory marine dist in and a new coil with wires on my 92 454 and it hasn't run better. Very easy The info here comes tooooo slow You can call me if you want or I will check this some. 3174322883 Just know what engine and conversion you have and I will give you my research Don't get sucked into spending 600