PDA

View Full Version : Eengine cover gas strut warping cover on SSV

keithf
08-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi, need some advice. I have a 2002 SSV with 200hrs, and the engine cover is warping badly, where the gas strut attaches to it.

It appears that the strut is too powerful for the sheet metal embedded in the engine cover - the strut is forcing the bracket back, which is warping the cover in that position.

Since I'm out of warranty, I am thinking of straightening the cover, then bracing the bracket with a long piece of thick flat metal, painted black - this will spread the twisting load over a larger area - hope I'm making sense, Was thinking of attached the metal plate to the engine cover with short self-tapping screws.

Any thoughs on straightening the cover without damaging the vinyl? Any-one else been-there, done that?

Thanks! Keith.

keithf
08-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Here's the 2nd pic - can only add 1 per post.

PS! I think this mboard has a bug when downloading pics attached to posts. I can only get them to display if I save them first - clicking open does not work.

silvtongdvl
08-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Wow - haven't seen one do that before !!!! I have a feeling that moisture or water played a role in this problem, or something broke along the sides. Looks like a definite job for a vinyl repair place, unless you feel comfortable working with all that vinyl.
Wish I could help more - sorry!
~S~

Salty87
08-16-2005, 12:14 PM
the vinyl work doesn't look like it'll be too tough to me. looks like it's still in good shape. i think the bigger question mark is the condition of whatever the sheet metal is reinforcing. something looks like it's broken under there.

the vinyl can be carefully pulled back, pulling the staples out. be sure to use monel staples to put it back together.

be careful with screws or anything that will protrude up into the seat bottom.