PDA

View Full Version : Weird wave

Hematoma
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Yesterday we went out for a mid week sesh and it was less than stellar. Has anyone experienced good wave one direction but going back the opposite it was sh@t? I thought it was my wifes driving until I really started paying attention to the direction we were traveling. We surf on a lake with 200' or greater cliffs on either side, a little wind but no current of any sort. Anyone else had this happen or am I imagining this? lol

Supra-in-steamboat
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I had a similar event in a similar location...surfing in @250 feet. Turned around had a different wave than 30 seconds prior. Thought nothing of it until same place, same thing. Realized there was a big spot of @185 feet water. Saw dudes fishing around there following morning and chalked it up to that.10143

Hematoma
06-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I had a similar event in a similar location...surfing in @250 feet. Turned around had a different wave than 30 seconds prior. Thought nothing of it until same place, same thing. Realized there was a big spot of @185 feet water. Saw dudes fishing around there following morning and chalked it up to that.10143Hmm that could be it. The lake ranges from 180' to 60' Might be a shallow spot we kept passing over.

ScottnAz
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Variations of depth won't make a difference on the wave unless you're talking differences between 50'+ and 10'-.
Where were you surfing Shane, Canyon, Saguaro? I'm always seeing a difference in the wave depending on which
which direction we ride, it seems even the slightest breeze running through those canyon walls will F with the wave.

Did you run in to any Sheriff's out there? Last time I was out, they were following me around trying to say surfing was illegal. If that's the case, I'll be paying a whole lot of tickets this year.

Hematoma
06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Variations of depth won't make a difference on the wave unless you're talking differences between 50'+ and 10'-.
Where were you surfing Shane, Canyon, Saguaro? I'm always seeing a difference in the wave depending on which
which direction we ride, it seems even the slightest breeze running through those canyon walls will F with the wave.

Did you run in to any Sheriff's out there? Last time I was out, they were following me around trying to say surfing was illegal. If that's the case, I'll be paying a whole lot of tickets this year.Scott we have been going to Canyon, We went Sat and it sucked ballz. Windy and 500 boats, not really but you know how it gets. No problem with the law, during the week they aren't even out patroling.

86 century
06-11-2012, 05:09 AM
The cops messing with must have been reading an Indian boating laws.
It is illegal to be towed or ride behind a boat within like 20'.

ScottnAz
06-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I was getting harassed by a sheriff at Canyon on a Thursday afternoon, he had it in for me for some reason. Told me he considers surfing to be teak surfing.
From what I know, the 20' deal is not an AZ law, more of a federal law that provides for confusion with our Sheriff Joe employees. We'll all be wearing pink underwear for surfing this summer. From things I've read, as long as you're using a 20' rope there isn't much they can do. Heck, if it comes down to it, take the ticket and fight it in court. Sounds like a pain in the butt, but its the only way to protect our sport, and educate the officials about the sport and the fact it is here to stay.

86 century
06-12-2012, 03:20 AM
I spent about two hours at the Indy boat show trying to get a conservation officer to explain why it was illegal and what the dangers are.