PDA

View Full Version : Need a replacement Starter for 1989 Comp TS6M

bwwilliams
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I need a replacement starter for my 1989 CompTS6M, 351 PCM. The last starter was put on by a local mechanic a year and a half ago and the bushings are shot. I want to get a new one, but I have no PCM or Ford part number. Could any late 80 two bolt mount ford starter work? The current starter has three through mount holes, but you only need two.

Thanks for any suggestions. Ball park on price to replace?

lively
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
What is you block number ? Under head left side

Supra-in-steamboat
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Make sure it is a marine starter. They are available at skidim.com or overtons.com Your current starter may be able to be rebuilt, but I think I paid $129.00 for a new one.

CornRickey
06-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe worth looking into rebuilding it. I have a local shop do all of my starters. They rend to be the same price but you know the work is right and they use the best components with is the opposite of the mass produced ones.

bwwilliams
06-10-2012, 08:16 AM
could not find anything stamped or cast under head. There is a nameplate bolted to the intake manifold Model PLD-PR-R12PP, Serial 291446, Firing Order 13726548, then the last line 9Y45001 +10degrees A17. Also on the housing covering the fly wheel at the rear of the engine the casting has a marking of "R142001".

What are the drawbacks to using a normal starter you can buy at a local auto parts store? I know the marine ones are lower profile, but there seems to be plenty of room for what looked similar at AutoZone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Basically the advantage is less chance of blowing up when starting. I believe the marine starters are sealed electrical units. Might not be 100% correct on the reason, but replaced my boat starter a few seasons ago and read a bunch of old posts regarding starters. All said go marine starter. Good luck.

TitanTn
06-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Basically the advantage is less chance of blowing up when starting. I believe the marine starters are sealed electrical units. Might not be 100% correct on the reason, but replaced my boat starter a few seasons ago and read a bunch of old posts regarding starters. All said go marine starter. Good luck.

Correct. Auto starters have a more exposed spark. In a bilge that is filled with gasoline fumes, this is a very bad idea. There are some parts that you can swap out for an automotive version. The starter is definitely not one of these.