PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock dumping fuel?

Salty87
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
i absolutely hate when my boat won't start. most frustrating thing that can happen. even my dogs can tell they should stay away.

i haven't had time to get on the water so i've been running it on the hose periodically. ran great last month, won't fire up this month. well, last month it took a spray of starter fluid to get things going.

i have spark, timing should be close enough to start but looks like i'm getting too much fuel. while messing with it, i tried closing the butterfly valve/choke on the carb by hand. i noticed that if i looked down the carb immediately after trying to start it that fuel seemed to be dumping. i wasn't giving it any gas, just closing the choke and turning the key. is this normal? i'll try to get a video.

gonna dump the water separator for kicks when i get home. put a new one in. i know the gas isn't the freshest but i did stabilize it. my lawnmower doesn't mind it.

anyone here know their way around an edelbrock carb?

Jetlink
06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
How old is the carb? Sounds like one of the floats might have failed.

Salty87
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
i doubt is has more than 150 hours...bought in 2008 or 9.

i watched a youtube on adjusting the floats. need to figure out how to get to them.

jet
06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Floats sound like they are stuck. Dont adjust!! Most likley they are just hung up with gas gunk from old gas and winter. Just take the bowls off and look for gunk, clean and re-install. That should do it?? (fingers-crossed)

DAFF
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
^^^ I second the motion. Your float needle is stuck wide open dumping fuel into the intake.

Salty87
06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
edelbrock has some fairly good videos on their support site: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/tech_vids.shtml

i've got the top of the carb off. floats 'seem' ok from what i can tell. they are within specs when it's upside down (7/16") but seem to hang too low when right-side up (15/16"). i'll post pics later.

there's some fine dust sized particles in the bottom of the bowls. not sure how to drain and clean that out.

float needles seem ok too.

CornRickey
06-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I usually find that the float isn't the issue with carb that had sat. It usually crap stuck in the needle valve that the float actuates.