PDA

View Full Version : Over heating

tstruth
06-01-2012, 05:55 PM
How do I know if I have a exhaust manifold leak? I have an 86 Supra and have no luck sucking up water from the lake to cool motor. Motor sounds good. I tried new impeller and a different water pump. Still no luck.

Please help.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
tstruth,

I have moved your post to the Service & Repair forums. Hopefully there will be more traffic there to get you a quick answer.

Jetlink
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you have the raw water pump installed backwards. Take a pic of the pump housing and post it up here.

tstruth
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey Ben,

I did have it in backwards. I solved that problem thanks to folks like you. I am trying to figure the correct thermostat to buy seeing that I took mine out thinking that was the issue. My boat usually runs around 150-160. I have read that I should use a 190 or a 145. What do you think? Also the boat seems to misfire a couple of times now. I was thinking about pulling the new plugs and checking the gap. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Again, what do you think. It seems that we have the same type of boat without the monster tower. I purchased mine last year and after I did some work to her, plugs, rotor, points, condenser, wires, distributer cap, coil, shaft seal, she ran great the whole season. So far it's been a little rocky. My wife hit a rock at the lake Saturday and ripped the shaft shaft loose from the tranny and the PSS shaft seal. I put her back together and ordered a new prop from skidim. Best deal I could find 3 BLD LH PROPELLER 1" BORE Item: OJ1021 Price: $342.00. Does that sound like the correct on. I dropped mine off to be refurbished. I should of written down the numbers on her.
I just hope the boat start up OK after she took in a little water. Any help or ideas you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jetlink
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Mine never really goes north of 150 degrees, I haven't had to change my thermostat yet. I would pull the plugs and check the gap, also check the timing while you are at it. As for the other stuff, no clue on the prop, I would suggest what everyone else on here suggests when questions come up on prop choice... Call Nettle Props or ACME or the guys at SKIDIM and run the questions by them. Hope that helps and good luck man.

tstruth
06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks Ben,

I ordered a 143 degree from skidim. I pretty sure that is the correct one. The prop I ordered is the one they recommended for the boat. I feel pretty confident that I will be up an running soon. I will pull the plugs and check the gap once I find the correct gap.

Thanks again.

Jetlink
06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Don't quote me as I am pulling this off the top of my head but I think the information you are looking for might be on the engine, at least it is on mine. Otherwise there should be a manual from PCM in the library here.

Salty87
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM
standard carb'd 351 is .035

Jetlink
06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Salty, that was what I thought it was but I didn't want to throw out a number I wasn't 100% certain on.

tstruth
06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the reply.