PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Bags Filling unexpectantly

SupraFireman
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2005 Supra Launch 21V. So far, the boat has been great! One problem I encountered though is that the ballast bags have been filling up with water
without flipping the "fill" switch. The switch will be turned off and the bags will just take on water on their own. Has anyone else run into this problem? Wasn't sure if this could be easily corrected or if it is a larger problem with a valve malfunction. I welcome any thoughts or advice.

Thanks!

CornRickey
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
No experience with it but research says this happens when stuff gets caught in the sprinker valves.

kevkev
06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I bought an 07 earlier this year and first time out same problem. I ended up replacing the valves, $30 for all three and problem was fixed. I tried taking them apart and cleaning them first, it helped a little bit (bags didn't fill all the way up in the same amount of time) but for $30 bucks it was well worth just replacing them. I now keep a spare set on the boat as well. You should either have 3/4" or 1" ports, so go to any home improvement store and pick up a set of sprinkler valves, wire them in and off you go.

jzelt
06-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Our bow bag would fill while under way. (common issue) We don't use it all to often, so I plumbed in a ball valve in the locker that I just flip open before filling.
If all your bags are filling, then go with other suggestions.

ProZach415
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2005 Supra Launch 21V. So far, the boat has been great! One problem I encountered though is that the ballast bags have been filling up with water
without flipping the "fill" switch. The switch will be turned off and the bags will just take on water on their own. Has anyone else run into this problem? Wasn't sure if this could be easily corrected or if it is a larger problem with a valve malfunction. I welcome any thoughts or advice.

Thanks!

Our bow bag would fill while under way. (common issue) We don't use it all to often, so I plumbed in a ball valve in the locker that I just flip open before filling.
If all your bags are filling, then go with other suggestions.

I have the same problem and the same boat. There are some manual little black switches on the actual sprinkler valve in the back of the boat that should shut them off if you want to deal with that all the time… Or as jzelt suggested you could ADD a more convenient valve. There really is no free and convenient fix for this problem unfortunately. You could always just go all out like the” Tsunami 800 pump upgrade project” many people have used on this forum in the modification section. I personally just chose to ignore this problem because if my boats in the water the ballast are full.

SupraFireman
06-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Awesome- thanks everyone for the replies!

Rusty Griswold
07-06-2015, 02:53 PM
I have the same problem and the same boat. There are some manual little black switches on the actual sprinkler valve in the back of the boat that should shut them off if you want to deal with that all the time… Or as jzelt suggested you could ADD a more convenient valve. There really is no free and convenient fix for this problem unfortunately. You could always just go all out like the” Tsunami 800 pump upgrade project” many people have used on this forum in the modification section. I personally just chose to ignore this problem because if my boats in the water the ballast are full.

Does anyone know the part # for the replacement Valve. Having the same issue. Bags are filling on their own.
thanks

CornRickey
07-07-2015, 02:46 AM
Take a old one to a big box and buy the comparable. This is a 3 year old thread by the way....

Zim
07-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know the part # for the replacement Valve. Having the same issue. Bags are filling on their own.
thanks

Don't know the part numbers, but the new ones will be green rather than the grey you're used to. Just go to home depot and ask the person where sprinkler valves are. Then find the comparable as stated previously.

Rusty Griswold
07-08-2015, 08:26 AM
thanks for the reply, do you think putting in new valves will solve the problem?

MJR119
07-08-2015, 08:40 AM
I am about to tackle this project as well. For the wiring, would you just cut the old wires, remove the old valves, and splice in the new valves? Sorry to thread jack the 3 year old thread lol.

CJD
07-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I had this issue and replaced the valves this spring. It fixed the problem of inadvertent bag filling. The valves are right off the shelf stuff, along with the plumbing. Supra used "Orbit" brand. I did not mess with the solenoids, as they were still working. I merely unscrewed them from the old valves and installed them in the new. If the solenoids are inop, the originals are installed with a connector, so all you have to do is solder the new solenoids to the old connector and plug it in.

Zim
07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
thanks for the reply, do you think putting in new valves will solve the problem?

Yes, the valves go bad and allow water to freely pass through them. Normally the valve will be closed and are able to stop the water pressure being created by your boat running down the lake. If the valve is open, driving your boat with the thru-hull ball valve open will allow water to freely enter into the bags with bad valves. Replacing those valves is the fix 99% of the time. One other thing to check as well, on the valves themselves there is a little black tab that needs to be flipped a certain direction. That could have been flipped accidentally allowing water in now (it changes to manually opening/closing the valve). You can check that, but it's most likely a bad valve. I've replaced all 3 on my boat... just something that's going to need maintenance. Luckily they're cheap.