PDA

View Full Version : This old house........

Hematoma
06-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow! I just got home from working on a 100yr old house I bought. Atleast 3-4 renovations have been done to this thing. We have PLASTER walls with sheet rock over that with Wayne Scotting 4ft up the wall covered by more sheet rock. Old azz 1920 wiring in the walls with b.s. wiring ran on the outside of the interior walls. They didnt give 2 chits about CODE when they did this stuff. Anyone seen the movie Money Pit with Tom Hanks? That about somes it up. Good thing it was only 34k. I'll take some pics tomorrow. Goin to be a looooooooong summer. Scott I'm gonna be hitting you up on some advice.

mapleleaf
06-17-2012, 03:45 PM
SOunds like she's gettin gutted for a full stringer resto, I'd check the motor mounts and ditch all that foam lol Should be tons of room in the attic for a full 'Toma sound system and hidden ballast deal....
( So happy my other guys are doin what you been up to there) I don't miss that first part at all....
Blow your nose, it'll look like abstract art!!!!!!

86 century
06-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I am in the middle of the same thing. You never know what you will find is these old things.

My best so far has been rip out the kitchen cabinets to find a fues box from about 1890 that still had live knob and tube wiring hooked to it.

Other than that nothing is even close to square.

Good luck and god bless

ScottnAz
06-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Just got off the phone with Att&t, changed my number!!

wotan2525
06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Welcome to my life. My house was built in 1910 (and was not one of the "nice" ones when it was built.)

Here's a tip -- when you go to fix one thing, you only need to fix every other single thing that touches it (or touches the new things that you fix.) Every little project turns into a major domino effect. Know when to stop.

Hematoma
06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
It amazes me that this house could support its own weight. I have removed so much lath and plaster, It's on the ceiling!! If a slab fell off it would kill someone. Found a chimney behind one wall and a hidden closet that they walled up. Knob and tube in the walls. It's nuts.

Hematoma
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Just got off the phone with Att&t, changed my number!!Dude I don't even have your number!! It was in my old phone, send it to me via PM. I'm gonna need a direct line. Like the Bat phone LMAO!!

Hematoma
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Put in another 8 hrs yesterday and more surprises. First off some yahoo decided to remove 14ft of a load bearing wall with no support beam added. I had to go up in the attic to remove the rest of the chimney and thats when I noticed a beam running with the roof joist butted against it. So today I got to put in some temporary wall to hold the beam. It's sagging maybe a 1/16th of an inch. None the less don't want the roof falling on me lol.

ScottnAz
07-01-2012, 11:01 PM
We need pics and video of this goodness Shane!
Sounds like a reality show is in order