PDA

View Full Version : DD vs. V-drive in reverse

22supra
06-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Went from a direct drive to v-drive basic driving is the same however went to dock the boat for the first time and ended up sideways in double lane dock twice. Embarrasing for sure, but gets me to wondering my 90' mariah would pull to the left in reverse the V-drive goes to the right. I am wondering if everyone's boat generally goes the same direction or different? and why it would be different?

CincyLaunch
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
V drives generally will cavitate to the right. Haven't owned a direct drive so I couldn't tell you the difference.

docdrs
06-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Its all in the prop rotation, your Mariah must have had a right hand prop. Most dd and vd today are left hand roatation

22supra
06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
that could make sense, but the offset of the rudder is in the same position would think the rotation would be the same, maybe not. I was able to put the mariah in some tight spots, now i feel like an amateur trying to park this thing my old tricks don't work anymore...only matter of time to get the feel of it.

CornRickey
06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
same here. I need alot of practice. I could thread the needle with my SN. In reverse it would go left. With my Launch it just kind of crabs to the right with no real direction. I think it is the difference between a flat bottom and deep v hull.

docdrs
06-17-2012, 09:38 PM
No big difference between my dd and my vd other than the vd is a little slower due to the 1:1.46 gear reduction

jet
06-18-2012, 01:22 PM
My boat is DD but most of my buddies boats are v-drive so I have to switch back and forth as a driver. Im my boat I go all the way to the trailer throw it in reverse, get the nose straight and pull into the trailer. On the vdrives i just go as slow as possible and drive straight on,,never stopping or your toast!! lol

Sweaver
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
My 88' Comp is DD and when I engage trans to reverse the back of the boat kicks to the right. As far as docking, I try to approach with the dock on starboard side at a slight angle then at last minute I kick in reverse to stop and shift for perfect dock.

Sweaver