PDA

View Full Version : Wake behind a 2011 242v

jdub667
06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Ok I need some help here...Who has a 242 and what do you run your ballast at to surf? My old 21V I used to fill the front and what ever back side for rider and surfed no problems. I cant even get this thing to put out a good wake to save my life, Ive tried everything. So do have to upgrade rear ballast? For a brand new 242 launch i would have thought the wake would have been double of my 21V???? Any suggestions?

KG's Supra24
06-17-2012, 11:04 PM
What are you running in the rear? I would suggest an 1100 lber in the surf side rear. Then playpen full. I'd at least start there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jdub667
06-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Just stock in the rear thought they were 500ers but could be wrong. I know this boat has 2000 total its got the hard tanks up front and a bag. I will order the 1100 tomorrow but i will put one on each side since the wife is goofy and i have to swap back and forth all the time. Do the 1100ers fit in the stock location are they just taller? Thanks.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
1100's fit in my locker in stock location. I know the entry shape is a little different on the 242 but not sure on the compartment size. Wakemakers might be able to quickly tell you. I would imagine they fit. They will take up almost all of the locker space when full.

jdub667
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Just orderd 2 1100's from Wakemasters one for each side should be here Wednesday just in time for my 4 day weekend at the lake. Will give surf update when i get home. Thanks for the info KG.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Did you talk to them? Make sure you got the fittings you need and they might be able to tell you if you need to extend your fill lines. I had to extend mine.

jdub667
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah they said just pull my fittings out of my old bags stick in the new bags and done. I'll call again tomorrow and check though that would suck.

KG's Supra24
06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Nice! I bet they got you squared away. Never hurts to check though.

Be sure to post up some pics. I'm not real sure ive seen weighted 242 surf pics.

My boat likes playpen full, rear surf full, maybe some non surf, wake plate 90% right (nose down). 11.7 if my Speedo is accurate. We occasionally throw an extra sack rear surf side.

cigars n scotch
06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Post some pics of your 242!!! Haven't seen hardly any new 242 pics from people.

jdub667
06-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Well aint this some shit...just pulled the stock bags because my new ones will be here tomorrow and they glued the fill and drain fittings in the bags. And I orderd just bags cause they said I could use the stock fittings so Iam sorta f-d. Now i will have to overnight the fittings so I can still make the lake on thursday night for a long weekend...You know if isnt one thing its another.
On a good note all my wet sounds 650's will be here tomorrow now the tower and interior will all match it rocked before but had to turn down the interior so the wouldnt explode now it will really rock.
I will definetly post some pics after the weekend of wake, new bags and some stereo shots.

KG's Supra24
06-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Put a blow dryer to the bags/fittings and see if you can't loosen them up. That is what I did, well a heat gun.

Might google other ways to get them out, not sure my method is best.

dusty2221
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I used a blow dryer to remove mine. Heat gun gets to hot to fast to soften the glue. I laid the blow dryer down blowing on the bag and just left it for about 5 minutes, came back and they pulled straight out.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?14162-Removing-Glued-Fly-High-Fitting&highlight=removing+glued

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpW_x9MeAQo&list=UUmffr_oSUYh29soqI_CEimQ&index=7&feature=plcp

cigars n scotch
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
There's a video how to on wakemakers site for removing the glued fittings. As dusty and kg said, hairdryer is the way to go.

Tmoney
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Guys,

curious if your quest to add more ballast was successful last weekend?

I have a brand new 2001 24 Launch and have tried different combinations of ballast.....100% port, adding bow weight at different levels, even adding some in the starboard bags.

The wake looks good but when we get close to the boat the best we can muster is periods of slack in the rope.....last weekend I had my board almost touching the swim platform at times but never could surf without the rope.

Obviously for the money you spend on a new 24 Launch, I expected to be able to surf without having to buy/add more ballast to the boat so not getting this dialed in after a few weekend trips is getting frustrating and disappointing.

We probably had roughly 60-70% fill on the gas tank and only two adults in the boat.

I called Supra and they said we should be able to get a surfable wake with 100% on the port side and turning in a very slight left hand turn but also said that "the more weight the better". He also said the 24 was his favorite boat to surf behind and that he usually has 6-8 people in the boat.

Pretty sure we already tried this exact set up minus the 6-8 people but we will give it another go this weekend at Lake Cuberland in Ky where we keep the boat.

We are using a 48 inch Hyperlite Board....could this be too short? Anythoughts on the board size related to this is also appreciated.

I am 5'11 175 lbs and my daughter is 5'2 95 lbs and we were told a shorter board would be more fun as we got better surfing.....so far, we aren't surfing, we are being towed behind a pretty nice wake or so I thought.

Tmoney

KG's Supra24
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
You can probably surf a stock wave if you are used to surfing but I could see it being hard to learn on.

At the end of the day, you will be glad you have a big wave whether you are beginner or expert. I'd recommend picking up an upgraded bag (1100 lb'er).

Very few factory boats surf real well, likely due to ballast restrictions with maximum load capacity and all that jazz.

That size board should be fine to big for your daughter. It is probably on the smaller size for you but should work. What board?

I'm also interested to hear how much of a difference it made on jdubs.

jdub667
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Ok, I don't have any pics to post because Iam at work but WOW it made a huge difference going from the factory 400's to 1100's on both sides. I changed my dash fill times to 11:30 so it takes awhile to fill and swap sides but worth it. The wave is not super tall like my brothers MB Sport but it has a good long sweet spot and the transition is awsome. The more I filled the front the longer it got so I ran the front at 50%. I also put 14 people in the boat with same ballast and it got alot taller which was cool but wont usually have that many people in the boat either. So all in all glad I went with the 1100's love my new boat even more.

KG's Supra24
06-27-2012, 01:02 PM
You might be able to add a little height by adding weight to the opposite corner, essentially sinking the whole back end, just don't do so much that it stops it from leaning. I'd say less than 400.

We run our bow full 100%.

cigars n scotch
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Pics or it didn't happen and this boat doesn't exist!!!

Glad to see you're dialing it in.

Tmoney
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone....guess the best thing to do is add the 1100 lb'er on port side.....any reason I need it on the starboard side if we don't surf goofy?

factory ballast OK in front I assume.

We use a Hyperlite Broadcast, east to get up on and seems big enough for me at 5'11 175

KG's Supra24
06-27-2012, 05:40 PM
No reason to buy one fro both sides if you are only going to need the weight on one. When wakeboarding you will be limited to the 400 or you will wash out, of course.

Do you have the playpen? If yes, then that should be plenty of weight up front. I run mine full but I have a 24SSV, not a 242. It may be different?

That board should work great. It's probably on the smaller side for you but will still work, like they told you, it will be more fun on the smaller side.

Tmoney
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks KG....had three days on Lake Cumberland this weekend.....surfed behind a 2008 Supra Launch....different hull design but wake was basically the same as my 2011 Launch 24....they have standard 400 lb bags too.

I was curious....if the 24 Ft Supra's come with 1700 lbs of ballast....how is it broken up? 400 lb each in the rear and how much in the bow? Is there ballast under the floor we can't see? If so, How do you know when those tanks are full?

Also tried the bigger, 5'4, Hyperlite Broadcast today, we have the 49 inch....this one was a little more bouyant once on the wake, but didn't help me stay up for long withoput the rope and it difinately is not as manuevarable for my taste so sticking witht the 49....bigger ballast is definately the answer which we will install on next trip.

Jdubb, how about those surfing Pic's.........Comooooonnnn Man.....

KG's Supra24
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
My factory setup was 400 rears and 1180 in the playpen. I believe the new 242 has a combo of hard and soft tanks in the bow, soft in the rear. The front tank should stay in line with the gauge. When you upgrades the rears you will probably have to reset your timers? Not sure.

More weight is def the answer. There are only a few boats that make a "good" factory surf wave.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

jdub667
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Here is a few from Havasu, now loading up to head to my lake for the rest of the week.
Yes mine does have hard tanks in the bow and a bag it is monitored from the dash on fill times to know how empy or full they are. I have been playing with times on the rear it takes about 10min to fill the 1100 lb bags. I do run my front full now and it make the wave long as hell you can ride waaay back behind the boat...

Tmoney
07-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Sweet...thanks for the pic's My boat is same color scheme but in Red with Black tower....different speaker configuration

Kma4444
07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Just curious how you felt the ballast worked out since you've had it set up for a while. We're looking at a 242 and surfing is our main interest. I know it's not the ideal surf boat, but it is a very nice boat, the nicest we've looked at and sea trialed. This includes the Enzo which was nice but the Supra outshone it pretty comprehensively.

Thanks

Tmoney
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
My 13 year old daughter surfed pretty well this weekend with the 1100 port sac and internal ballast filled 100%. We use a Hyperlite
board that is the 48 inch model. No ballast up front seemed to work best and trim all the way down. Speed was 9.4 MPH
I was able to go for a little bit without the rope but I think I might need a longer board or we need to do some more tweaking.

Still playing with speed and ballast for me..I weigh 175 and 9.4 seemed too slow but anything much faster and the wake started to
break down. Gonna take another trip to get it all right.

Love the boat but not sure we have it tuned optimally yet for adults. Friends have a 2008 24 launch and said their son surfed for 10
Minutes without the rope in calm water so maybe the trick is having really smooth water to optimize the wake.

Good luck with your purchase.....I think Supra makes the nicest package on the water both exterior and interiors....very functional.

Kma4444
08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I'll have to start a thread showing our new acquisition if it comes together!!!! If it does it will mean trading the 86 Sunsport but that's the way it goes. We've been successful surfing that ol gal for over two years so I am guessing we will be able to get a new big boat working. Should be fun.

jdub667
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I love this boat been out every weekend pretty much all summmer, lots of compliments on it as well. I call it the panty dropper just cause its got such a sleek look. Now for the surfing i did the 1100 on each side and just ordered a new prop from Acme per with 10-12 people and the ballast they reccomended the 2079 it will tap out around 28MPH but ill i do is surf so iam good with it. Only negitive is it takes about 10min to swap surf sides.

Kma4444
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
That's encouraging to hear. I figured the 1100 bags would be necessary. Luckily I have a couple thousand potential pounds worth of bags already so it will be easy to move them around to figure out what I want to make more permanent. Have the old boat all cleaned out and ready for the swap tomorrow. Can't imagine I will sleep much tonight, like Christmas eve when I was a much younger and substantially less hairy guy. Not that you asked. :D

Tmoney
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Post some pics of yor boat and the wake when you have a chance. Congrats on your new baby

Tmoney
08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Any new wake ballast tips? Not getting out this weekend due to a cold snap...soo bummed

jdub667
08-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Well other than the new prop and playing with the speed its all about how many people you have in the boat. I typically have about 8 but the more the better, I have had 18 including me driving and the wave is unreal but this is not typical of course. So i would say 10-12 is ideal with rear either side full front 1/2 full and 10.8 mph.
Sucks its cold there... still around 90's here so i will be back again this weekend getting the most out of the summer as possible befor fall.

Tmoney
08-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Oddly cool, gonna be great golf weather but I wanted to boat...it'll be 90's again soon and we should be able to boat easily into
September if time permits and the water stays above 72 or so. .water is 90 or so now so hoping weather cooperates on the
weekends over the next few months

burkec
05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Great fun. How do you keep the nose from going under in the rollers when circling back after a fall?

Jetlink
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Throttle control, also...try pulling the throttle to idle while not turning the steering wheel at all, allow your wake to pass by and then turn back to pick up your rider.