PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Dripping at threads and bolt

suprasam
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I noticed this weeken while I was on the lake that close to the transmission where the shafts meet it is leaking. I mean its not a huge amount, but it IS a leak. I haven't tried yet, but is there a seal there that if I try to tighten this should squeeze and stop the leaks? Or if there is a rubber seal should i take apart an replace? Thanks for any help.
If Im not making much sense about where the leak is I will try to grab a picture tonight when I am at home.

wotan2525
06-18-2012, 12:44 PM
If it's a rope packing, the first thing to do is tighten it and see if it stops. Next step would be to repack with new rope.....

sydneyACE
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
^^ What "wotan2525" said.

It's easy to do. Just remember, it's supposed to leak a little bit. That's what keeps the seal cool.

We are assuming that it's a water leak where the drive-shaft goes through the bottom of the hull (aft of the coupler) right?

Not a transmission-fluid leak from the back of the trannie (forward of the coupler)?

suprasam
06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
yah its not where it comes in from the bottom of the hull, I will grab a picture tonight an post. Yah its definitly not a tranny leak, its pure water.Thanks