PDA

View Full Version : How a farm mechanic changes an oil filter.....

gogger
06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Well last week I had a mobile marine mechanic come by to do a tune up and change the oil. Not that I couldn't do it myself, but I thought I would feel more comfortable with someone else looking at it. Well he was pretty much a joke. Couldn't get the oil filter off. So we started on trying to get it off. Got down to the point where we were air hammering it. Still no good. No marine shop could get her in for a couple weeks. So decided to pull it myself. Not that I didn't think I couldn't do it. I just didn't want to. So we pulled it. Using the loader tractor to hoist it. After using a sledge and a chisel got the old filter off. Turns out someone replaced the bellhousing bolts and used a very long one. It was going into the filter and preventing it from coming off. We pulled the piece off the filter screws on to since the threads were boogered up. Well turns out that part was cracked. So hopefull we can find the part tomorrow and reinstall the 454.

TitanTn
06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Wow, that's sad. Glad you were able to get it off though.

haugy
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, that's one way to do it. I can't believe I was complaining about my oil filter.

gogger
06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Well I read the threads about stuck filters and tried everything we could think of, including the torches. Had the element and old oil burning nicely. Anyways thats when we decided it wouldn't be to hard to pull the entire engine. Made it easy to clean the bilge out. We didn't have any other way to lift the engine high enough to get the engine out of the boat. The old loader tractor did a fine job. Hopefully we can find the part tomorrow and get it back in and head to the lake. 95 here tomorrow.

Scramblerone
06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Seen it a million times! LOL I am speechless.... yup.... without speech!!!

gogger
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
And the kicker was when we pulled the engine we found one of my new spark plugs in the bilge. Seems he dropped it and decided it wasn't worth the effort to find it and replace that last plug.

Salty87
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
attack of the previous owner. they can never be trusted.

let's see that clean bilge!

gogger
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Well I am real sure the previous owner pieced this thing together to try and sell it. I don't even know if the engine in it is the original engine. Nor the transmission.

wotan2525
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Yikes! The loader actually is one of the "safer" ways that I've seen (or attempted) to remove an engine. It's a tricky process but that loader is better than the 1968 bucket truck that I had to use one time to do this.

I was going to say that a hot screw driver through the side of an oil filter will usually give you enough leverage to remove it.... but.... Doesn't look like that would have worked this time!

jet
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
LOl, it only takes 1-hr to pull the motor but a half a day to get the filter off. lol

kvand347
06-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Gogger you must be a real lady's man cause boy does that take some balls! I mean, remove the motor to take a filter off? You had to do what you had to do! Cheers to you my friend!

gogger
06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Don't think I had a choice. Once I had the motor out a couple good hits with the baby sledge and a chisel and it spun off. But in the process the part the filter screws on cracked. So one of the guys that works for me chased down a new one. Well at least a replacement. A new one was 153 at the dealer and it had to be ordered. He stopped at a scrap yard and they gave him one for free.

gogger
06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Some pics of the bilge after some cleaning

DAFF
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Since the engine is out you should paint it before reinstalling it. You can only imagine what I have done with my Allis.....

Okie Boarder
06-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Wow...pretty cool!