PDA

View Full Version : Miss firing on my 86 Comp

tstruth
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey folks,

I have my Comp back together and sitting in the water. Took her out today and she ran well, Top speed was around 40. Had a little miss firing going on. Pulled the plugs and checked the gap. It seemed to have a nice drag around 35. Cleaned the carb with some gumout and still she was miss firing a little. I am going to check the timing out later this week. Was wondering if any of you folks had any ideas on why this is happening?

She ran fine when I put her away last fall. I changed the rotor, points, cap, and wires last year. Mot sure what could be causing this.

Thanks,
Tom

Jr0dusmc
06-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Changed rotor? That would tell me that timing would be the first thing id check. Is it constantly missing or just when you get it to high speeds? Ive seen this before and it was a compression problem.... 3 cylinders didnt have any.

tstruth
06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
When I first started going it happened at slow speed. I gave it a little throttle and it happened again. Not all the time just a couple. Then I opened it up and it seemed fine until I brought it down to idle, then she did it again. I had her going at a good speed. That's why i'm thinking timing.

michael hunter
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Check the points first . Resetting the points will change the timing. How is the fuel? Use a spray bottle of water and spray the ignition [Cap,Coil ,Spark Plug Wires] .

tstruth
06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
I will reset them and try that first. Fuel is a couple of weeks old. What's up with the water spray? what am I looking for?

Thanks for the reply guys.

michael hunter
06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
If you have any electrical leaks in your secondary the spark will track down the water and the engine will miss. Try it when dark you may get a electric spark show.

tstruth
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Reset the points and timing. She runs sweet. Speed increased from 37 to 44.
Motor sounds strong.

Thanks again guys for all the help.