PDA

View Full Version : Big block chevy.

skiman_61
06-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi guys,

My '87 Saltare' 454 has taken to stalling when below operating temperature. This problem just manifested in the last week or so. I had the same problem several years back. Cured it with a new distributor cap, rotor and wires. I also ditched the points. Love this boat, but it's always something.

Any other ideas? Feedback most appreciated.

Jack

wotan2525
06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Several years back? Might be time for another tune-up. Rotor, cap, wires, plugs. Also might be time to give your carb a quick once-over. Edelbrock or holley?

skiman_61
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks Wotan,

Holley 4bbl.

Plan is to check out the cap and rotor, clean the linkages on the carb.

wotan2525
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Cap and rotor is cheap -- I'd start there. And plugs if it's been a while (I do mine every spring.)

haugy
06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Stalling when operation below temperature? So when it's cold it dies? But warmed up it runs fine?

If so, I'd look right at the choke first. The choke should be electric that opens slowly. But sometimes it can get stuck in open or closed position.

If it isn't opening electrically it will once the engine heat causes the choke coil to wrap. So warming up the engine will open the choke. But if you gas it with the choke closed, she'll stall out from lack of air and too much fuel. Does it smell like fuel when it dies?

You can check the choke by removing the flame arrestor, and turn the key to ignition hot, not start. Over time the choke should open by itself. If not, there's your problem.

skiman_61
06-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Warmed up runs fine. No fuel smell to speak of. Could be the deal tho. I plan to clean the linkage and take a gander at the cap.

Wotan: Funny thought about the plugs. Growing up we had a 75hp Evinrude Selectric shift on a Hydrodyne flat top. I changed the plugs regularly as the old two strokes tend to foul. My father would trash pick the plugs and save them. He was a child of the depression when such things were scarce. Saved every plug from every mower, boat motor, car, motorcycle ....you name it.

haugy
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
So when cold it will stall? I'd check the choke for sure. I had a bad connection in my wiring and it caused my choke to not work properly and it ran all kinds of awful.

skiman_61
06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
OK guys, I cleaned the carb, changed the fuel filter and inspected the cap and rotor. I plan to replace the last two, but I was in BFE and nobody had the goods. Pretty much ran great all weekend. One instance of a near stall on a cold start after I'd run it all day.