PDA

View Full Version : 1987 comp boat will not start!!!!!!!

Crowther
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
My boat has been sitting for two year, so I took it out of storage and it will not start. I've had my timing done, new spark plugs, oil, gas, fuel pump, starter, impeller, and i rebuilt the carb. My engine is getting gas and spark. I don't get it, it's cranking but will not turn over. If anybody has any experience in this please help. I have a 1987 Supra comp TS6M with a 351 windsor and a 4160 holley carb. Any advice would be helpful.

Crowther
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
does anyone think that the ballast resistor or coil could be causing it not to turn over and if so how do I test

wotan2525
06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes. But if you're getting spark, those seem unlikely. See if it kicks over with a healthy spray of starting fluid. If it does, that points to carb issues. If it doesn't that points to timing/electrical.

Crowther
06-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I've already tried the starter fluid in the carb and it didn't work. Before I put it up for the winter two year ago I paid over 800.00 for timing, rotor, points, and wires, so I would hope it's not the timing.

86 century
06-21-2012, 02:10 AM
If its been setting for two years the points are probably trashed.

Make sure you have power at the + post on the coil wile cranking.
Then connect a test light to the battery + and to the coil - the light will flash wile cranking the eng over if the points are working.

Crowther
06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks for the reply

riveredge
06-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Also make sure the wires are on correctly, in the correct order that is. If it hasn't been run since the wires were changed, it's possible they're in backwards order. Do what 86 century suggested first, but I'm just throwing that out there because I've done it.

Crowther
06-21-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm getting 12.6 volts at the + end of the coil. I haven't done the test light yet.

Crowther
06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
just did the test light on the coil and battery and it is lighting up, so all is good there.

Crowther
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I did notice that a lot of fuel was coming out of the carb when i opened the choke flap. It should be dripping right and if so is that the needle and seat or something else. My guess would be it's flooding the spark plug out before it can combust

docdrs
06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
I did notice that a lot of fuel was coming out of the carb when i opened the choke flap. It should be dripping right and if so is that the needle and seat or something else. My guess would be it's flooding the spark plug out before it can combust

pull a plug and see if its wet, if so then dry them off and see if you can start it, you can always put it in flooded engine mode ,full throttle, and spray starting fluid to see if will fire........ note... at your own risk

Crowther
06-21-2012, 10:46 PM
When cranking over my engine, how much gas should come out of the venturi's. Should it be dripping one or two drops ever few seconds or not. Mine is not dripping but pouring out until I crank the throttle lever a couple of times then it stops. Is this normal or not. I did rebuild but did not change the needle and seats. the floats seem fine, when I put it upside down the floats are level like they should be. Carb experts I need help

CornRickey
06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
That is not normal. You shouldn't be seeing any fuel coming from the ventures at idle. Only when you open up the throttle should there be a spray from the AC. Pump then a content spray from the center of the venturis when cruising. I don't recommend rebuilding a carb on a boat unless you know what your doing. To much at stake.

Salty87
06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
i've been hiding in the shadows reading this one. now that you describe the same problem as i'm having i'll add my .02.

i checked floats and needles, all 'looked' ok but problem is still there. i got a rebuild kit in the mail yesterday. i have an edelbrock though. sneaking suspicion that old fuel is the real cause. gonna change the water separator and see how bad the fuel is. will drain the tank too most likely.

Crowther
06-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys. My boat has been sitting for two year and I did put stabilizer in it and the fuel smells good and even catches on fire on the sidewalk Lol. I work at the fire department so today on down time I'm going to pull the carb apart and look at the needles to see if their sticking. I'm pretty mechanically incline, rebuilding a carb is not that difficult for me, but thanks for the concern. If that doesn't work then I will drain all fuel and go from their. Thanks again.

Crowther
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok so I tore apart the carb and the fuel was dirty with black grit in it, so I'm thinking your on to something Salty. This weekend I'm going to drain the gas and fuel/water separator and so what happens. By the way I did go ahead and change the needles and seat, it was too easy not too. I will keep posted on the results. Thx

Salty87
06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
damn, that was quick!

how many gallons are in your tank? i think i've got at least 20 :(

Crowther
06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I have 20 Gal and it is full, so that sucks but I guess it could be a lot worse. I would think my fuel/water separator would catch most of it, but it looks like it's not catching anything. Cheap fix if it works.

wotan2525
06-22-2012, 05:08 PM
damn, that was quick!

how many gallons are in your tank? i think i've got at least 20 :(

I siphoned over 30 out this spring. It wasn't too bad so I just mixed it with my tow-pig (which I don't care about and I don't think has been on F in at least 5 years) and then went 50/50 with new gas in my other vehicles.

Salty87
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
swing on down and you can have another 40 between crowther and me, lol.

i've been running some in my riding mower but this stupid drought turned my yard into a dustbowl, again. don't want to run it through my 03 burban.

travis county will accept up to 30 gal. wish i had a pickup still.
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/household_hazardous_waste.asp

Crowther
06-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Salty I just realized your from ATX, What part North, South, East, or West. I live south near south park meadows. I bet your remember the wildfires that broke out last summer. I was right in the middle of it.

Salty87
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
i'm west, off 620 near mansfield dam. i wasn't in the middle of it but you could see the steiner fire from parts of my neighborhood.

hard to believe it wasn't even a year ago, yet... https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?9671-austin-and-central-texas-in-flames&highlight=flames

Crowther
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
The fire in pedernales near the travis/blanco county line was in our area, by that I mean at my fire department. I had to fight that one for two weeks. I just hope we don't get any big fires this year. It's already getting hot. Anyway I post when I get to my boat this next week to keep everybody posted

Crowther
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Well I think I found the problem. My ignition coil is reading way to much resistance on the secondary ohm's reading, which means I'm getting half the voltage to my spark plugs. I'm not getting a fire spark. I ordered a coil and ballast resistor, so next week I'm going put it on and see if I'm right will keep posted

Crowther
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Well I give up, that didn't work. I have a mechanic coming out tomorrow. I can do no more. I'll keep posted

avlrecycling
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Did the boat run before it sat for two years ?? Check distributor placement, pull number one plug, put a strall or something stiff but not damaging in the hole, turn crank with wrench till piston comes to the top. Pull dist cap off and see if rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire. If it is you should be good, but you can be 180 off so you could pull distutor and move 180 or just move all wire 4 place to test. Also if spark is not BLUE it is not a good spark, yellow spark will not fire engine.

avlrecycling
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Also if you have a battery jump pack, or jumper cables, connect them drectly to the motor. Neg to block and poss to battery side of the starter seliniod. This will by pass any bad cable issues. That was the problem with my flood boat. Once I ut power right to the engine it fired right up.

Crowther
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks, the number 1 piston and the rotor was at the number one distributor wire, I just wanted to check but I did spend 700.00 dollars on timing, rotor, points, spark plugs, and wires two years ago, so if that was the problem then I would be pissed, but you never know. I just ran out of money when the economy went south. I've tried everything and just can't figure this one out. I'm very driven and mechanically incline, but I just can't figure this one out. To answer your question YES it did run before I put it in storage two years ago. I just couldn't afford to spend the money to tune it up, it was surging a lot. My neighbor's friend is a mechanic (not a boat mechanic) but I seriously don't think you need a $150.00 an hour boat mechanic to figure this out. Any mechanic should know how to fix the problem. It's a neighbor's friend so my bank account shouldn't be in too much jeopardy. I will try bypassing the cable before he comes over. Thanks everyone for trying to help, I will definitely keep posted when this is fixed, I'm sure a lot of people are wondering what the hell is wrong with this boat (including me). If I can save anyone else of this headache, trust me I will

Crowther
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Well guys thanks for all the replies. I'm throwing in the towel, this boat just takes my money and I get no fun on the water out of it. The mechanic turned out to be a retard, I knew more about the engine then he did. I think it may be time to put her up for sale. Thx again

Salty87
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
we've all been there before to some degree. not starting is by far the most frustrating for me.

you rebuilt the carb? did you do anything about the fuel? today's gas doesn't last long. get a portable tank and run a fuel line of fresh gas to your fuel pump.

timing, fuel and spark. pull a spark plug and with its wire connected, ground it to the block...getting a spark?

looks like my problem was bad gas. tank has been drained, carb rebuilt, tomorrow morning i'm hitting the ramp for a test run.

Crowther
07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I got it running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hand cranked the pulley till the #1 head was at the top and the rotor was not pointing to the # 1 spark plug wire on the distributor. I checked the other day and thought it was. It was pointing at the wire right above it, so I took all the wires off and made that one the # 1 and just followed the firing order and she started on the first try. Is it alright to do it that way. I figured as long as its going in the correct order it's fine. It purrs like a kitten now. I have a few miner adjustments to tune her up but that's all. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to move the wires around. Thx for all the help everybody

CornRickey
07-06-2012, 10:45 AM
That's funny, I just did the same with my SN. I must have switched the wires when I winterized it. It was running with a stumble (but running well) threw a timing light at it and couldn't see any marks. Died trying to get to the marks so I checked td on #1 then checked firing order. Put it back to perfect timing.

Salty87
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
that's great crowther!

got mine running too but not very well. stumbles and surges. hopefully just carb settings.

CornRickey
07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
When cranking over my engine, how much gas should come out of the venturi's. Should it be dripping one or two drops ever few seconds or not. Mine is not dripping but pouring out until I c
rank the throttle lever a couple of times then it stops. Is this normal or not. I did rebuild but did not change the needle and seats. the floats seem fine, when I put it upside down the floats are level like they should be. Carb experts I need help
Don't bother with anything else till you fix this. Your running around in circles and not dealing with the obvious stuff first.

Crowther
07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Actually I dealt with all the obvious stuff first. I already fixed the carb and it was the firing order that was wrong. I always look at the easy things first, but thanks for your concern

jshepp122
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Actually I dealt with all the obvious stuff first. I already fixed the carb and it was the firing order that was wrong. I always look at the easy things first, but thanks for your concern
Just a thought but if you had gas pouring out and flooding it might have flooded into the block, might want to drain the oil and make sure there's no gas in it just as a precaution.

CornRickey
07-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Sorry, missed the post that you got it fixed.