PDA

View Full Version : Finding correct wires to temp gauge

suprasam
06-22-2012, 01:50 PM
OK I have an 86 Sunsport with a 351 PCM(ford), over the winter I recovered my dash. I thought I was doing the right things when I took each gauge out I labeled them. Well I some how screwed that up to be honest. I have a guage for gas(works) a depth (old doesn't work) a clock (face cracked) and my temp gauge it did work prior to taking everything apart. I am going to buy new depth and clock gauges, but are not at the top of my list because I don't really need them. I thought I hooked the wires back up correctly, I know I have some power to it because it will move some once the ignition is turned on, but then it goes flat. The PO had rewired everything and didn't use the same wire colors, so i can't just look at a manual for help. Can anyone tell me how to trace wires back to the sender and figure a way out of this hell hole I have put myself in please. I know I should have only three or four wires left over, but once I hooked everything up I took the tape off all the wires. Now I don't know whats right or wrong. Although gas gauge works fine. Thanks for any help you guys can give me. MY GOD I HATE ELECTRICAL.

Salty87
06-22-2012, 02:04 PM
sounds fun...not.

i'd start by removing the other end of the wire from the temp sender. ground it to the block, see if the gauge pegs. if it does you can rule out wiring and focus on temp sender. if not, wiring time.

suprasam
06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks Salty.....I will try that test tonight. I wont even write the cuss words that are BOILING in my head because of this FREAKIN IDIOT mistake I have some how made. UGH In case you haven't noticed I HATE electrical wiring or anything that has do to with it!

riveredge
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
If you don't solve it with the above suggestion, you can use a digital multimeter to figure out which wire it is by testing for resistance - you would attach one lead to the wire that goes to the sender, then test wires under the dash until you find the one with a resistance close to zero. Presumably you would only have a couple wires to check. Just make sure the end of the wire at the sender is not attached to ground or anything else when you're testing the wires under the dash.