PDA

View Full Version : Tranny slip

snibbornairb
06-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Forum,
My '88 Mariah w/ 1:1 velvet drive is having a problem of slipping fairly severly when cold, but then when it warms up it runs fine. I have changed the fluid, but still having the problem.
There is a little pink "froth" at the top of the dip stick (not on the stick, up at the very top). I took off the cooler and did a very unscientific test, but couldn't determine a leak.
I have seen a couple posts that slipped when hot, but couldn't find anything on slipping when cold.
In what I think is an unrelated issue, I am getting some oil in the bilge. It seems to be coming from the housing between engine and tranny. Rear seal leaking? Gives me a headache just thinking about it.
Thanks for any advice,
Brian

Sweaver
07-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I noticed oil in the bilge of my Comp as well. I squirted some dish soap in there and hopefully that will clean it up when some water sloshes around in there. It appears that my rear seal is the culprit. Also, I just changed the trans fluid with some DEX/MERC which according to the labor is good for Dexron III.

Sweaver

DAFF
07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
i would check your fluid levels in the trans. Foam means it is cavitating or loosing a full hydrolic pressure and sucking air on the pump side. I have a feeling this will be an EZ fix. As for the rear main.... make sure you don't have too much oil in the engine. Rear main would be a good winter project or tune up time with a cam intake and go fast stuff.

SquamInboards
07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
My transmission's input seal (facing the engine) was leaking all of last season. The way I determined it was ATF and not engine oil was the color of the oil in the bilge after a while. I cleaned everything and put a white oil pad under the bell housing and found a red drip, but that was after it was leaking pretty badly. I pulled the transmission, replaced the seal, and re-installed in about 3 hours. You can get the individual seal from skidim, but I got the whole seal kit because there were some other o-rings there I wanted to replace too, and figuring with 1400+ hours my transmission will need more attention again soon, so now I have all the parts.

chautauquasun
07-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I would say if it is pink and frothy that you are getting water in the fluid. I think there is only two ways that can occur. One is a leaky oil cooler and the second is if you had enough water in the boat and it was covering the transmission it could leach into the transmission thourgh the dipstick/filler opening. I had an issue with a leaky oil cooler and slipping transmission. I bought a new cooler and changed the transmission fluid a few times and the problem went away. I woudl say you have a slow leak in you oil cooler.