PDA

View Full Version : At lake. Shaft coupler leaking!!

TitanTn
06-25-2012, 07:07 PM
We're at the lake for a weeks vacation. My bilge pump kicked on when I wasn't expecting it to and it led me to start searching. The rubber, prop shaft coupler was peeing water. It looks like I may have not put the hose clamps on straight and it pinched the rubber or something like that. I repositioned the clamp over the pinched area and moderately tightened it. The flow has been stopped for now.

Any guesses as to how long this will last? Can I make it the week? I don't know if operating will put significant pressure on this and really open it up? I don't really have a way of repairing it this week and our whole vacation is centered around using the boat on the lake. I haven't messed with this coupler at all (other than to screw up the clamp) and I'm not sure what to expect.

Salty87
06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
dripless seal i'm guessing? scuba shops have great rubber glues and patches.

CornRickey
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Get a roll of emergency tape.

TitanTn
06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
dripless seal i'm guessing? scuba shops have great rubber glues and patches.

Not dripless. The bronze coupler is supposed to leak a little. This is the rubber piece between the cooler and the shaft log. Good idea on the scuba shop for rubber patches. There are several scuba shops around here. I'm really hoping it holds as is for this week. But likely won't with my luck.

I might also need to find some emergency tape. ;)