PDA

View Full Version : soft spot in the floor 1995 Sunsport

rscottski
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I have a soft spot in my floor between the drivers seat and the engine cover. The interesting part is that this boat has little or no wood in it. Last weekend I leaned back in the drivers seat and most of the screws on the pedestal seat pulled out. I almost ended up on my ass.

Does any one know if the floor on this boat has a wood core underneath the fiberglass ? I went with the newer Kevlar / composite boat to avoid the hassels of replacing stringers and the floor.

For a quick fix I was considering injecting a hardner resin mix into the screw holes and replacing the screws before the epoxy hardened. Is that my best bet?? If so what epoxy would you recommend.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks for the help Scott

Ptownkid
06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Your floor should be made of starboard http://www.kingplastic.com/products/all-products/king-starboard-family/king-starboard/

Salty87
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
i've always wondered what floors would be made of. i've worked with starboard, i doubt that's it. its weight to strength ratio as a flooring material would be bad. it needs lots of support or would sag between stringers.

i don't think injecting epoxy would last very long. the epoxy plugs would probably pull out fairly quickly in that application. would be hard to stop the epoxy from just dripping through the floor. i think i'd look at toggle anchors before that plan. http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/NFibx2GJNqZ8KPxG2i9rvJH-LFpCJBPGjLkJ5jkeiE4j0LbmXJsgzoVtjWL-nYZdXHgtB4MKyJ3KtbdjarhVbCuRThSqZOeoHG-tJ0ChEYLFfL_N0vwk5hdZoBZXHbwEGiq7ArphDIpHS4frkFw0j 5rLp-iQv9KIVHZxkWvTxbGvaWk7bo0R8hs8u6DhjkXTgMwcTs6_dqWj ZZmfwB7ePPDjeXr2CkSE9XTVtlY2cFrOFTUeybSSdhVXwkcBVt K59DXeIl1aIOnLPDxgEwlwO5G3c8A7P09csuuk9L9ofv4

even those would be a short term fix.

it's possible to repair the floor under the captains seat by cutting the carpet between the seat and the gunnel. it's tight space for working but the seat will hide the new seam.

wotan2525
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't know what your floor is made out of, but those toggle bolts are almost perfect for mounting seat bases. If you can find stainless ones (which I have not been able to find) let us know.

Home Depot lists these as stainless on their website, but they are just regular coated zinc.

Ptownkid
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
can"t remember who...but someone told me it was starboard. You never know though, could be wrong.

CornRickey
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
What about threaded inserts and use bolts. That way you could remove it. I've removed my seat a ton to deal with stuff under the seat.

joel210
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Rotate the seat base a 1/8 turn, and then just drill new holes and remount. If it is wood like mine,just filled the screw holes with sylicone and screwed down.