PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing a DD w/ 1.23:1 trans help?

kvand347
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Read my signature for the details of my boat...

I have tried to wakesurf my boat with different ballast locations and am having troubles finding the pocket. I know DD don't produce a huge pocket like the v-drives, but shouldn't it be more than a foot long?

I know the 1.23:1 trans spins RH as opposed to most of you 1:1 LH'ers, so my question is do I need to learn to ride goofy to get a better wave/pocket since the prop is spinning to the starboard side?

Or is it I am just too much of a newbie right now and need to learn board control?

wotan2525
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Two things.... can you catch the wave on another boat? If the answer is that you haven't tried... then.... you're just a newbie that is trying to blame the boat.

I participate in a lot of board sports and had surfed in the ocean several times.... it still took me far more days than I'd like to admit to be able to find the pocket. During this time, I was always trying to blame the wave or the board or my weight or foot size or anything else besides my ability level. Now that I know what I'm doing, these factors took care of themselves.

Second thing. More weight. Always more weight. If the rub rail isn't dragging, you can get a bigger wave. More weight in front = longer pocket.... more weight in back = more push. I run with my wakeplate slightly down, ~1800lbs in the back corner and a person or two in the front.

Nobody will have the magic bullet for your setup.... it's all trial and error as even the exact same boat can yield different results. Good luck!

kvand347
06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
You got me! I have not tried on another boat before, but have heard that v-drives are easier to find than DD's.

I run ~1450lbs in the back and 350lbs in the front. I then put people on the same side we lean. Usually back seat, spotter's seat, and up front. Surf wave gets to be about mid-thigh high (I'm 6'1") in my estimation. Wish I had pics.

What helped you to know what you are doing? Any technique tips?

wotan2525
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds like you have enough weight and a big enough wave to me. I'd focus on catching the wave and then worry about tweaking your setup to make it perfect.

Put your weight on the balls of your feet. Bend your knees (you can't do this too much..... ) Feet centered toe/heel on the board. With pressure on the balls of your feet you should be pushing the toe-side edge of the board into the wave. You should be riding with at least 60% of your weight on your front foot... it will feel like you are pushing it down the wave.

When you feel the board start to push towards the boat -- this is the time to shift your weight to your back foot -- if you wait until you're already down the wave, you'll be too late as the board doesn't respond instantaneously. You have to always anticipate where it's going to go. This was a big struggle for me as I was always slightly behind where I needed to be pressuring the board.

Once you begin to "catch" the wave you'll feel slack in the rope. When you can comfortably start to get slack in the rope, work on weaning yourself off of the rope. Move towards holding it with just your front hand and try to get your timing down so that you rely on it less and less. Finally, once you can reliably get slack in the rope, toss it into the boat.... I'm a big believer in getting the rope out of your hands as early in the progression as possible. This will take away this comfortable feeling and force you to surf the wave.

Keep trying! You'll get there and once it starts to click it will feel like second nature. Still struggling? Post a video and I can try to help.... or.... Drive up here to Hudson and I promise to get you on that wave!

kvand347
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Sounds like you have enough weight and a big enough wave to me. I'd focus on catching the wave and then worry about tweaking your setup to make it perfect.

Put your weight on the balls of your feet. Bend your knees (you can't do this too much..... ) Feet centered toe/heel on the board. With pressure on the balls of your feet you should be pushing the toe-side edge of the board into the wave. You should be riding with at least 60% of your weight on your front foot... it will feel like you are pushing it down the wave.

When you feel the board start to push towards the boat -- this is the time to shift your weight to your back foot -- if you wait until you're already down the wave, you'll be too late as the board doesn't respond instantaneously. You have to always anticipate where it's going to go. This was a big struggle for me as I was always slightly behind where I needed to be pressuring the board.

Once you begin to "catch" the wave you'll feel slack in the rope. When you can comfortably start to get slack in the rope, work on weaning yourself off of the rope. Move towards holding it with just your front hand and try to get your timing down so that you rely on it less and less. Finally, once you can reliably get slack in the rope, toss it into the boat.... I'm a big believer in getting the rope out of your hands as early in the progression as possible. This will take away this comfortable feeling and force you to surf the wave.

Keep trying! You'll get there and once it starts to click it will feel like second nature. Still struggling? Post a video and I can try to help.... or.... Drive up here to Hudson and I promise to get you on that wave!

Thank you for the pointers! I will be trying them out this weekend. I'll see if I can get someone to take a video and post it up for you to see. If I can't go ropeless by the end of July, then I may just take you up on your offer!

wotan2525
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh also -- DONT LOOK DOWN! Pick something in the boat to orient yourself too. Look down, go down. Everyone seems so amazed that they have their feet on a surfboard that they can't stop staring at it..... You'll get it. ;)

kvand347
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Wotan--you will be happy to know I caught the wave this last week...it was only for about 25ft but I got there! I know what you mean about anticipating where the board is going to go...I ran the board right into the back of my boat! Scared me a bit because I wasn't sure if I should grab the back of the boat or just edge backwards. I ended up just biffing it off to the side trying to get back in the wake. I wish I would have taken some video of it so you can help me out. I think I just need more riding time. I spent the better part of the day getting newbies up on the board for their first time. Lots of start/stops!

wotan2525
07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Congrats!! Just remember now that when you start moving towards the boat... that is the time to shift your weight back. Once you hit the boat, it's too late!

And don't feel bad... I seem to only hit the boat when I'm trying out someones brand new board. Usually, the more expensive the board, the harder I decide to hit the boat.

kvand347
07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Rode tonight with an experienced friend. What a difference that made. I got him up to speed where we were going up north (~10mph) and he kept telling me to slow down. We finally settled at ~7-8mph and he rode the small wave. We filled up with ~1350lbs with just one adult and my two kids the wave was really small. When it was my turn I was able to get lots of slack in the rope and rode wireless for the longest stretches yet! I was super stoked! Here's a pick for proof!

kvand347
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Wotan--check out this video. I needed to fill up the full amount of weight and get people on board to get the wave a lot bigger. It was really small, but I caught the wave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga7BTJFRFtk&feature=youtu.be

wotan2525
07-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Congrats! I'm so stoked for you.... Form looks really good. The only advice I have for you at this point is to just put miles on.... You'll probably stick that 360 before I do!

wotan2525
07-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh also -- better start looking out for a new board. You're going to get bored with that one in no time. Welcome to the addiction. ;)

kvand347
07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Oh also -- better start looking out for a new board. You're going to get bored with that one in no time. Welcome to the addiction. ;)

Thanks man! I have a lot of work to do before I start thinking about 3's! The buddy I was with said I should think about take the outside fins off. I think I will try that out next time.

Nice play on words with getting bored with my board! :D

What board do you suggest?

BTW--I'm totally hooked!!

cmtaylor777
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I have a DD and after a lot of trying, I am close to getting it dialed in. What I was told, was a DD likes a lot of weight in the center of the boat. In addition, it likes more of an evenly distributed amount of weight. So... try evening the weight out. I am not saying that you need to have it exactly even on both sides. You still need the boat to list to the surf side... just don't fall into the typical setup of piling the wight all on one side.

Hope that helps.

kvand347
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I have a DD and after a lot of trying, I am close to getting it dialed in. What I was told, was a DD likes a lot of weight in the center of the boat. In addition, it likes more of an evenly distributed amount of weight. So... try evening the weight out. I am not saying that you need to have it exactly even on both sides. You still need the boat to list to the surf side... just don't fall into the typical setup of piling the wight all on one side.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your insight. Now that I've caught the wave I will start messing around with ballast placement to see how big I can get it. My buddy I was with did mention that I would probably get a better wave on the starboard side since I have a RH prop. Not sure I want to try riding goofy as of yet. Need a lot more practice!

wotan2525
07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Not sure about that. I can't get a surfable wave on the starboard side (although I haven't spent tons of time trying....) I think his logic is backwards there.

As far as boards -- I can't even begin to open that can of worms. Here's my recomendation -- get everyone that you can hooked on the sport of wakesurfing and then encourage them to buy boards. Or buy up any used boards that you can find. Or start making/shaping boards. You'll be amazed how different every board rides. Once you start trying to spin or get air, they make a HUGE difference.

kvand347
07-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I've been trying to get people hooked...just like with wakeboarding. Unfortunately my friends like to use my stuff and not buy their own. I've been okay with that right now because we are all at that age where our kids are young and expensive. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they would let me use their snowboards? Hmmm...if not, then why do they get to use my equipment?

I will be looking for some used boards. If you find any, please let me know!

Okie Boarder
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Hope that helps.

So what is your set up now?

sybrmike
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Glad to hear you're getting it worked out. I'm in the same boat (well, different boat - Saltare, 1:1, LH). I thought my first attempt at setting up a surf wake looked good on the port side, until my wannabe surf chick daughter reminded me she's RFF. Hopefully I'll have better luck than Wotan setting up the starboard side for her. Continued good luck in your quest...

kvand347
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you're getting it worked out. I'm in the same boat (well, different boat - Saltare, 1:1, LH). I thought my first attempt at setting up a surf wake looked good on the port side, until my wannabe surf chick daughter reminded me she's RFF. Hopefully I'll have better luck than Wotan setting up the starboard side for her. Continued good luck in your quest...

My guess is that the LH props are going to have a better port wake than starboard since that is the direction the prop is turning. Again, just a guess. I'm sure with the right amount of weight you can surf either side of our boats.

I can't wait to surf some more this weekend! Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!