PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Supra Launch SSV, 22' What size bags to go with?

wontonrunner
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey guys,

I have been searching for a while and still not getting a fuzzy feeling inside. I bought the boat last fall and we are struggling to ride without the rope. We have the Gravity Games Edition with what I believe to be the standard ballast package of 900lbs total. 250 per corner and 400 in the centre locker? I want to upgrade bags and get the most out of them that I can. I am looking at the fly high 750's that measure 20x20x50. However, the measurements i took of the locker to the underside of the fibreglass lip is 19"-15" and the locker is only 39" long on the drivers side.

What are guys running? I hear lots of guys saying they go with the 750's and only partially fill them but I am concerned that the bag when inflated will destroy the fibreglass if we forget that the pump is running. Anyone have any issues with damaged fibreglass because of overfilling the bags?

What's the best speed to go? We have tried 10-11.5 and to me it seems that 10 has more push to it than 11.5.

Thanks in advance for your help

KG's Supra24
06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
If properly plumbed you should drain water out the thru hull when the bag cannot take anymore water. I run mine pumps until i hear/see water coming out. I would think the bag would explode before it would cause fiberglass damage?

Have you gps checked your speed to make sure perfect pass is correct?

Sluggo
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
My 2005 is currently in same configuration. Putting 750's in this week. I was going to go with two more thru hulls and pumps, but wanted to make sure the 750's would make the difference in rope, no rope before going that route. With current setup, 10.3 seems to be the best regardless of balast or people or wake plate position.

wontonrunner
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
I don't have the original perfect pass. The brain was replaced 2 weeks ago with the new stargazer gps setup and appears to be pretty accurate. The bag does drain through the hull when the bags get full but they sure do bulge and are pretty solid at that point.

CornRickey
06-28-2012, 01:44 AM
I just spent the morning with my 750s for the first time. I'm 230 and using a CWB Ride. Surf side full, front full (stock) and I couldn't throw the rope in and keep going. We are running at 11.2 with the plate at about 1/4 down. Filled up both factory bags, put one in the bow and the other on the seat (surf side) and I could throw the rope in but the wake was short. I will put my old Fay sac in the bow next time and use the two smaller bags in the back to move around. A little hummed that I can't just use the ballist system but then again it wasn't made for it. Regarding the 750- don't under estimate the power of hydraulic. If the bag is in the compartment wrong and the empty hose gets kinked, the high volume, low pressure these bags can build will break a lot of stuff. I relocated my empty pumps to the front of the bags (this is were the bottom port is on the bags) and made a super short connection from it to the bag, decreasing the potential of problems and spending up the empty times significantly. When the bag is full the pressure back feeds brought the empty plumbing out the thru the hull fixture.

wontonrunner
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
that is a little concerning. I can ride with the rope slack for quite a while with the stock bags and a few extra people, but seems that once i throw the rope i slowly drop back and loose it. WIth the 750's i figure i will be able to do it. THe previous owner said that with the factory sacks they used to wakesurf all the time with no problem when they had a few extra people....so hopefully. We were out on the weekend with 6 in the boat and me riding with the factory side sack filled and the centre about half way and the wake was waist high...Had a few nice little rides but still not quite enough.

I know well enough what the water can do (i am an engineer) and thats what concerns me. I am not horribly concerned about kinked hoses. The factory hoses on this are pretty rigid, but i am concerned about busting up the fibreglass if the bag is not sitting correctly. Might have to come up with an overflow system if the factory setup is not adequate.

It can be done. This guy is a little bigger than me and has the exact same board as me...and a supra launch as well. Just wish he would reply with his ballast configuration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGnKl-OdiQ

Thanks for input guys.

ScottnAz
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
It can be done. This guy is a little bigger than me and has the exact same board as me...and a supra launch as well.
That guy is pretty far forward on that board, heck I could likely surf a skateboard that far forward on the rails. Not much you can do but ride or pearl in that situation.

ScottnAz
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I've posted a few times how I'm weighted, 05' 22ssv,
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?5401-Post-your-biggest-surf-wave-pic/page2

"I've played around with the weight a lot over the last couple seasons, and think it's pretty dialed in. Some of the bags don't fill to capacity due to compartment restraints, but I generally fill the bags until they start spitting out the side of the boat.

1200 lb GG sac in the center ski locker (probably only fills to ~900-1000)
400 lb sac sitting in walk-through area (old rear sac)
750 lb in surf side rear locker (probably only fills to ~650-700)
~700 lb on surf side rear seat and sunpad (old center sac)
Wakeplate is usually 50%, sometimes 25%
Speed is generally 10.7, but ranges from 10.5-11.2 depending on weight and wave

This setup has been very good. I can run this setup with my family (wife, 6yr & 15yr old daughters), and let them sit wherever they feel comfortable in the boat. Makes for a more pleasant family outing, yet, I still get a great wave. The wave gets larger when I'm with my crew of buddies, cause they'll use the 700 lb rear surf side bag as a lounge chair, and that adds another 175-220 lbs. Here's a picture of the setup from late last season."

Payaso2
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I run the 1,180lbs Gravity Sack in the center locker and the 750's tucked in the rear lockers on my 2006 22 SSV. Great wave and good push with this setup. Supra seem to surf better with more weight in the middle/front. I got tired of filling a 400lb bag for the front and went with the 1180 to replace the stock 650. It allows you to adjust the fill with the amount and size of the people. I just ordered the bags through Wakemakers and ordered extra hose and fittings to extend the rear corner plumbing. The front center was an easy swap out. I removed the rear carpet/board in the front of the rear lockers so the 750's can expand a little better. I usually run the plate up at least 75% and adjust it to clean the wave up the best I can. 10.7 MPH. Just go back from Powell with this set up and everyone was pretty positive about the way the wave has evolved from the stock bags from the beginning. I'm 6'2" 225lbs and ride wireless pretty easy with this wave.

wontonrunner
07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Scott I appreciate your posting of your setup. I wasn't sure how much of a different the 2004 was from the 2005. I also don't plan to go that crazy with bags and ballasts. We just wanted to upgrade the rears.

As I mentioned before, just before i ordered up the 750's i got the hand of riding with the stock ballasts. Actually, after trying it with a full boat I found it easier with less weight and a smaller wake than with more weight and a big wake. What I have found is that when you go with more weight the wake is taller but the trough is steeper so we are constantly burrying the front of the board. If we move the weight further forward in the boat it flattens the trough and makes it easier to ride.

I ride goofy (drivers side) and in this configuration the wakeplate is all the way forward in the wakeboarding position, when someone rides regular foot then to clean up the wake we have to have it at about 1/4 of the way from the skiing position. The prop rotation really must affect how clean the wake is.

Anyways, for our we found that the perfect speed is 10.3-10.7 with the 750 bag filled and the stock center filled any slower and the wake just doesnt clean up. If we go much faster then the wake looses its "push"

I am now up to a 20 second ride time without the rope. Pretty stoked. But i do have to ride quite far forward on the board. As soon as I figure out how to plumb up the old bags and use them as satelite weight I will be tossing more weight up front.

Any one know what size thread these bags use? They don't match anything in the plumbing shop.

It is getting so easy now that even my dog has gotten the hang of it.

Lavinder
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I use my stock system for my 2007 22SSV. 400 lbs in the back, then I throw my three kids to that side (200 lbs total), have front half full (400 lbs), wake plate down 30%, speed 10.4 mph. I am thinking of adding another 400 lb bag in the back to see if I can elongate the wave.

Payaso2
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Try putting more weight in the front or above the ski locker. Fill one of your old stock bags up and throw it in above the ski locker. This will elongate your wave and increase the waves push without increasing it's height to much in the '03-'06 22 SSV hull design.

Bird32
07-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I have the 2009 22ssv and use the 1100lbs in back locker with 750 on top and factory middle full. Makes huge but short wave. I have ordered custom bag from wakemakers the should fit in locker and up side after removing cooler and bracket and upgraded to 1100lb middle sac so i dont have to have bags on top anymore. The 1100lb rear bag fits nice once you remove some unneeded carpeting bracket in rear locker.