PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Prop

tamt20
06-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I hit a rock last weekend and it dinged my prop pretty good. I've never changed the prop before, but after reading a few posts, I figured it was something I could do myself. I pulled the boat and checked it out. There were 2 bolts holding the prop on, no cotter pin. I realized that I didn't have the right size wrench with me, so I went to the marina shop to ask to borrow one. The service manager at my new marina claims that they have to use a special tool to get it off. Is this true? Or are they just milking me for some extra money?

Also, I'm wondering if anybody has a prop for my 1988 Mariah? Right now its got a 14x12 Left Hand Cup Michigan Ni-Bral with a 1 inch shaft. Anybody have something like that they are looking to get rid of?
Thanks

docdrs
06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
The special tool is a prop puller. its a c clamp with a forked or u shaped end that fits around the shaft and on the prop so you can apply a significant amount of pressure to pull the prop off. sometimes you will need to heat the prop and or tap it to free it loose.

tamt20
06-28-2012, 06:59 AM
So, I can't just wedge a block of wood to prevent the prop from turning? Then get a longer bar to exert the extra pressure needed?

tg0824SSVGG
06-28-2012, 08:08 AM
You don't want to bend the shaft trying to get the prop off. I am sure there is a way to do it, but this is what he's most
likely talking about - I carry one of these next to my prop wrench and spare prop:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/29762_L1?$highres3$

matt k
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I've been looking to pick one of these up for a while, but they seem pricey for what is basically a fancy C clamp (skidim's cheapest is $75). Anywhere sell em on the cheap? Or should I just suck it up and buy that one next time I order stuff from skidim?

sybrmike
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
I was able to pull mine with the long (~8") standard 3 arm puller from Harbor Freight.

WakeSurfCanada
06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm with mike on this one. Have had my prop on/off and handful of times with a standard 3 arm puller, works Great!

kvand347
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
How many of you lap your prop to your prop shaft?

I use valve grinding compound to mate the two surfaces together.

Here is a good link for proper prop installation (http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12866&KW=lap+prop&title=proper-prop-installation)

wotan2525
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I've never used a prop-puller and I probably go through 2 props/season.

MAP gas and a rubber mallet knock it right off every time. No reason to be worried about banging up the old prop by the time it is coming off. ;)

Salty87
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
i have the puller too. last time i bought a new prop i paid a little extra for the 'kit'. a bag for the prop (keep my spare in it now), prop puller, and wrench. i think it also came with some cotter pins.

CornRickey
06-29-2012, 10:35 AM
how are you going to use a map torch and a rubber mallet when the boat is on the water and your wanting to change the prop to save the rest of the day? Go buy the puller and a spare prop and don't bother other people for a pull back to the ramp!

riveredge
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
+1 on the puller, well worth it. When you use the puller make sure you back the nut off just a few turns but leave it on the shaft, so that when the prop comes off it doesn't smack you.