PDA

View Full Version : changing impeller. NEED HELP

dickboxers
06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
it was tuff to put impeller in. Is this the way its supposed to fit or do i have wrong impeller.

DAFF
06-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Looks good to me. Just remember to install it the correct way, so it sucks water rather than not. I installed mine backwards and drove myself crazy tring to figure it out on the dockside. On restart remove a waterline running to the manifold to make sure flow is correct. Water should gush within seconds of start up.

dickboxers
06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
thanks daff

supra790
07-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I have pictures of mine from when I took it out just to make sure I got it back in the right direction. Yours looks exactly like mine did, like DAFF said as long as you put it in the right direction your fine.

pap
07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
i just replaced mine this weekend, and I would think if you put it in "backwards" the rotation would just flip the little rubber "tines" around within seconds - they are flexible after all. I didn't really pay attention to which way they were rotated when I took mine out (couldn't see down there) and did it all by feel. After installing I got excellent suction of water into the engine (collapsing my fake a lake) so either I got lucky (50% chance of getting it right) or it did self-correct.

suprasam
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I think DAFF was referring to installing the pump back on incorrectly. The pump will go on both ways, which will push rather than pull water into the system. Trust me on this I installed the pump the wrong way, and drive me freaking nuts trying to figure out what I did wrong on something that was suppose to be so easy. So now I marked on the pump which way was up this way next year I wont screw it up again.

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I put Lucas on mine... little bit. find it slides in nicer and it has a bit of lube for start up.

DAFF
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Funny how when I installed it last year it was covered in a ton of packing grease out of the bag..... Perhaps the rv antifreeze had something to do with the lube loss.

BigCity444
07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Suprasam; I just did the same mistake as you. Easy fix but I scratched my head for a moment.

SquamInboards
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Always a good idea to mark a direction on the pump. I also sometimes hit the impeller with silicone spray from the top of the output hose that goes into the t-stat, before starting up in the spring.