PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks of repair to my salvage Supra Conbrio pay off.

avlrecycling
07-01-2012, 11:21 PM
10430 Well after two weeks of repair and cleaning to my 89 Conbrio pay off. On the water saturday and sunday put over seven hours on the Supra and it ran great. Kids had a great time on the tube hooked up to the tower, need to learn to wakeboard now. First comment on being a first time owner of a ski boat, man you get alot of water in the boat. There was alot of boat traffit and we put the nose in a wave more then once. Nice thing is everyone gets wet on this boat. Is it nomal the take on so much water? We are in upstate New York on Lake Ontario, looks like we will send alot of time on the bays, and finger lakes! But in all love the boat, love the sound of the V8. She is still rough around the edges, but in time it should look nice again. :)

yachts
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
welcome to the world of thee
subrio

mapleleaf
07-02-2012, 12:40 AM
lol 3 people in the bow of Conbrio!! Great photo! lk Ontario sees my boat a fair bit...clearly it wasnt meant for this lake.....take your time , the learning curve of driver error (nose dives) will improve for sure... Welcome to the site...There's super heavy Supra experience here, dont be afraid to ask!

Sluggo
07-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Good to see your enjoying your boat but I would be cautious about pulling tubes from the tower. Most towers are not designed to withstand the lateral stress a tuber can put on the tow point if you swing them way out there.

haugy
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Congrats on getting the boat out!!!

Yeah, the Conbrio/Comp are notorious for the nose dives. Sometimes you can actually submarine them to the point the windsheild is under water so be careful. Make sure your bilge pumps work on those boats.

It takes time, but some things I learned to do with my Comp to help alleviate the water are these:

1) Slow way down, and then power up right before a big wave. This will get the nose way out of the water as it tries to lift onto plane. Yes, you will be slowing down and speeding up a lot on a bad lake, but it does reduce the water.

2) Cruise very slowly just before the boat is on plane. If it's a real rough day, slow your boat way down to make the nose rise. This will help you get across multiple waves on a choppy day, plus it will help reduce the slamming effect on the bottom of the hull that makes your kidneys hurt.

3) Broadside the waves. If you are coming across a cruiser wave, turn directly at them, not the boat's direction, I mean directly at the wave. Once you get right before them, turn the wheel down wake, away from the boat that created the waves. And let them go by you on your side. Rather than take the waves head on, let them pass you by rocking you side to side. The kids will love it as it's normally a wild feeling (ride). But the sides of the boat will stop most water from coming in. You may get some in the back where it's lower. When you broadside though, don't stop completely as you may still have to nose it up a bit to get the nose above the following waves. You just don't want to hit that first wave head on. It will cause the nose to drop and then the second wave will come clear over the boat. It takes a few practice runs, but you can start with smaller wakes to see how it feels and reacts.

I normally broadside the big cruiser waves in my comp.

Good luck man!!!! and Sluggo is right about your tower and tubing, be careful.

crystal waters
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
have an 89 conbrio so know about the wet factor. All the above is good info.
If I have any body in front playpen when I am about to slow down such that the nose will drop I have them slide back to the main area of the boat to get the weight off of the nose. I actually seldom run with passengers up front and usually have the front tonneau cover snapped in place ----it appears to be a comp at that point. We only use the open bow when anchored and relaxing or swimming."haugy" is correct about the first or second wave ----- I simply power up enough to get my nose up and to keep it up so I bump thru those bad boys! Either that or I turn broadside and let the boat rock thru them. Have never taken water over the side yet and only once over the back only because some idiot decided to present our stern with a "surf " wake while two of us were standing/sitting on the swim grid enjoying the sunshine and the water.
You will soon get the hang of it and it will become second nature to you re avoiding getting the boat wet!
enjoy your conbrio!

jet
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the team.

jimmyk102
07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Wow, you run your Conbrio on Lake Ontario? Brave man. I'm on Canandaigua Lake & it will take some time, yet you will live & learn how to hit the waves & have no water come over. Just watch your low/idle speed, that's when the nose is at it's lowest point, That's usually when I sometimes take water over the bow.

kriley
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Great info as I am a new owner of a 90 comp. I and the family keep getting drenched with water over the windshield - It feels great on a hot day here in Georgia but I dont
like soaking the boat either - I keep thinking about all the work I have done on it and all the work left to do...

haugy
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Great info as I am a new owner of a 90 comp. I and the family keep getting drenched with water over the windshield - It feels great on a hot day here in Georgia but I dont
like soaking the boat either - I keep thinking about all the work I have done on it and all the work left to do...

Also, you have the ability to adjust the trim tab at the stern. It can be dialed up for choppy water, but your top end will suffer and you will porpoise bad. But if you know you aren't going to be going full out, trimming up the tab will help keep the nose up too.