PDA

View Full Version : Changed Circulating pump over weekend - Now concern

suprasam
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
OK, so on Friday I got my new circulating pump from skidim. It came complete with all the gaskets needed, so I took the old one off cleaned the old gaskets off the engine block. I noticed at the very bottom of the block it seemed to have a 1/4 inch pass thru. It looked like almost like where water could drip out. I had never noticed water dripping out of there before though. So I installed the new one correctly, and bolted everything back up. So yesterday took to the lake, she fired up and worked great. Although that one little passway was dripping water pretty fast. I have a call into skidim, but they aren't open yet, so I thought I would see if I can get any answers here as to what this passway is, or what I am missing. I hope I explained this well. Let me know. thanks

suprasam
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Well I spoke to them, its called a "weep" hole. Apparently its suppose to be there incase of a malfunction in the pump. So I guess I got a bad pump, and I am going to have to exchange it. They are great to work with, I am going to take everything off and make sure I didn't screw something up before exchanging.

riveredge
07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Look carefully at the water passages. When I removed the circ pump on my old ford truck with a 302 there was a notch at the bottom of the timing chain cover, it sounds like what you're describing. Even though there's a gasket that goes over that spot, it's supposed to be there and under normal operation, water/coolant should not be in the area above that notch, if that makes sense. I thought it was weird too but that area behind the pump should be dry, so the little gap isn't a problem, and in fact does what skidim described to you.

Does your new pump look different from the old one?