PDA

View Full Version : Launch quirks....in heavy seas

DAFF
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
In heavy seas has anyone noticed the windshield and rear swim platform make excessive noise??? I love my boat and these are the only quirks I can find after 15 hrs of use. Keep in mind this is in a heavy 2' chop where the max speed is about 12mph....

CornRickey
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Don't know about the windshield but what does the platform brackets look like?. Mine were worn down really bad. I had aluminium beads welded down the face of each one and fill in the holes. I then took each bracket and ground down the beads till the bracket fit into the transom brackets. Then I drilled the homes. Worked great and no more clanking noise.

haugy
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I use rubber bushings, makeshift of course.

When I put back the last windshield I used rubber grommets (o-rings) at every screw point, and then put a light bead of silicone down and let it set up a bit before fitting together.

For the swim platform, I removed the pins tilt the platform down so the lower edges are still in the cradles. Slide some thin rubber in between, lift it back into place, and pin. Wiggle, and ad as necessary. Old bicycle tire tubes are great for this. I just recently used some excess sound dampening mat that came with my last tool box. I just cut it to fit. Platform fits tight with no wobbles, or rattles.

I hate rattles when I'm cruising.

cadunkle
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Good ideas on the platform brackets. Mine doesn't make any clanking noise but when you stand on it you can feel it vibrating a lot, bouncing up and down with the exhaust at idle. I may try to tighten it up and isolate it more from the boat. When rough and sitting still it does make noise from waves and rocking up and down, the air getting trapped under and finding its way out. Just a normal wave slapping/sloshing sound. Teak platforms or other flat designs don't make this noise, but it doesn't bother me.

CornRickey
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
That's what mine did. Take them off and look for wear on the front v area and on the back. My holes were ovaled out also.